• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refusal of annual increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duncantls

What is the name of your state? Missouri

For the past 4 years the company (a non-profit social service agency) I work for has given annual raises across the board in April. In August of last year I rec'd a promotion w/one half pay increase and the other half after one year of successful job performace. Other employees were promoted but only had to be on probation for 6 months. When I inquired about this, I was informed that my probation was a longer period because it was a higher position. My current pay does not reflect that my position is that of a higher status in comparison to others who were promoted. I make less than some and more than others.

I was denied my annual increase because I rec'd a pay raise in August and am still on probation. I was upset because past years the raises were across the board and I was counting on the increase. Nothing was stated to me in August about this matter when the promotion was offered with only 1/2 the pay.

The only other employees denied the annual increase were new hires and those on probation for poor performance. I just had my 5 year anniversary with my company and don't feel that I belong in this group. I did receive a 6 month evaluation and it was very good.

I just feel cheated somehow and was wondering if any advice could be given on whether to pursue the issue or if I am just screwed. I am very happy with my new position and the company I work for, but I'm not in this for their benefit.

Thanks for your time in this matter.

Beth3

Legally, no one is entitled to a pay increase except in the following two instances:

1. The employee and employer have entered into a valid employment contract which guarantees periodic pay raises; or
2. The employee is being paid minimum wage and that is increased by an act of Cogress or State legislature.

Your employer may set the conditions under which they are prepared to give you a pay raise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">