• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refused Reasonable Accommodation, fired, told it was due to my "health"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clashcity19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

Hello, I have tried posting on a different forum and didn't receive much help. So here's my story: Be advised: I was employed here on a contract ffrom a staffing agency. I am still technically employable by the agency. I communicated all of the following to both entities.

1. Starting in March I was involved in a situation where I was being harassed by a co-worker at I job I held for over a year. I repeatedly went to my direct supervisor about it. I eventually became extremely distraught by it because it was escalating in such a way that was causing others to jump on board. Much like a mobbing-type of situation... I eventually ended up going over my direct supervisor's head to the next person in the chain of command. She agreed I was being subjected to a hostile work environment and the co-worker who was at the root of the harassing behavior was terminated at the end of May.

2. Some of the problems I developed as a result of the harassment were insomnia, anxiety, and panic attacks (all inclusive to a diagnosis for PTSD, which I also suffer from). All of these are conditions that I have been treated for over the years, but were exacerbated by the work environment I was in. Although I was grateful for the support and the interim director's decision to remove the source, insomnia, anxiety and depression take time to treat. I have no health insurance, but I have psychiatrist/therapist who will see me at a discounted rate. I asked my direct supervisor for more information on how to file for reasonable accommodations (in this case, a slightly modified schedule allowing me to come in 1 hour later and stay one hours later) for a mental health issue. He said he didn't know, but would find out. This was on May 31st after he informed me that "most people around here think you can just come and go as you please... so I need you to be here at 9AM to avoid future issues in the office." It had always been a lax environment. If I was running, late, I would call and let him know. No issues until after the coworker was fired. Furthermore, his attitude towards me totally changed after that... not in a good way. I explained that I felt i needed this accommodation because my insomnia and anxiety were not currently under control and I was not functioning at an optimal rate because of it. I also mentioned to my supervisor that there are several other employees who receive substantial accommodation to tend to their personal matters and health or health of family via modification of schedule. I did not see why it would be different for me just based upon office gossip. He admitted no one had ever actually come to him directly and complained about me.

3. I never heard anything. By June 12, I decided to email both my supervisor and the interim director asking for accommodation in writing. I explained, in some detail, what my issues were, why I needed the accommodation and proposed what I believed to be a very reasonable plan of action as to how I would manage my time with this slightly modified schedule. I offered to provide any medical documentation they may need and let them know I would be happy to discuss the matter further with them as needed. I also, just by coincidence, received my school schedule for the fall on the 13th. After I didn't hear anything on the 13th, I emailed my interim supervisor to let her know I had given my schedule to my supervisor, who said "any decision like that is made by [interim director]. At the end of that email, I reminded her that I have an appointment upcoming with my provider and could provide whatever note or documentation she might need. She responded on the morning of June 14 by saying that our office adheres to a 7am-5pm single shift. She said "a doctor's note is not needed unless you are going to miss more than two consecutive days d/t illess." So all at once, she was denying my request for accommodation and also informing me that my school schedule in the fall would not be able to be worked around either. I was not expecting to have my school schedule worked-around, but school does not start until September and I still need to work. The majority of the other workers in the office arrive well before 7 am and some (myelf included) stay well after 5 pm.

4. I was very emotionally fragile at the time that I received the email denying my accommodations. I was going off of very little sleep by then (which was a thursday) and I sort of broke down. I was referred to speak to one of the other supervisors as none of mine were in the office. She asked me what was going on and I told her I was not sleeping and I asked for help while I got things back on track, explained what I asked for and that it was denied. I also explained that the trigger/catalyst for me being in this state was due to the harassment but has continued for other reasons: I am having an anniversary reaction to brutal violent sexual assault I suffered years ago. This happens each year, but tends to be unmanageable with added stressors. I explained I felt my production has been fine, but that I need that leeway to be able to function at my former level which was "better-than-just-fine." She told me to get help and go home. I went home, contacted my psychiatrist, and he wrote me a note excusing me from work for the next day also. I was fired the next day, Friday June 15th and was told: "I think from what [interim director] told me, it all just boils down to your health. They say your performance has not been as great." I agree, but it's still been acceptable considering I actually do about 3 different jobs around there. I contacted an attorney but haven't heard back except to say that since this is a religious organization I should go straight to the EEOC. Just wanted to run this by someone else... sorry for the length!!

Last edited:

Proserpina

It's a shame you didn't include the additional information in the other forum.

Please stand by for others to respond.

clashcity19

What? I am feeling really beaten-down, I feel I have answered all the questions I was asked and never got a response???

clashcity19

nevermind

I don't know why I even bother coming to these sites. People on here have no compassion and are just blow-hards and offer nothing but sarcasm. I really need help. I don't have resources. I just lost my job and i am going through a mental health crisis. And all you can think to say is "It's ashame you didn't include any of this important information on the other forum??" I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown and trying to figure things out because I believe I was discrimnated against for a condition that is already the most stigmatized: mental illness. I just needed a little help and understanding. Just someone to be nice enough to offer me help when I really need it, but obviously it's the same people on all these forums just going around being condescending and rude and half of you aren't even lawyers anyway.

sandyclaus

What I read was that you wanted to be able to pick and choose your own schedule. You were turned down, and you decided that the company was not being reasonable in accommodating your demands.

If you know that you have a set schedule that the company isn't willing to work around, why can't you actually moderate your OWN schedule to adjust to it? It might be different if you were missing an entire day here and there, but in your case, it's only about sleeping in that extra hour, and you want permission to do it every day.

You seem willing to come in an hour later and work an hour later, so why can you not get to sleep at a decent time to allow for you actually work the same hours as everyone else?

clashcity19

Very few people around there adhere to those hours, and those who do, do so by choice. I would be willing to say that 60% of the office does not adhere to that schedule and I was always told "I don't care when you work, as long as you work your 40 hours." That was always what I did and I didn't worry about it until I was reprimanded for people having this perception of me that I "com and go as I please." As for going to bed earlier... I do. I CANNOT sleep because I have insomnia. I can take benadryl all night and it doesn't do anything. I got an rx for ambien and I overslept the first time I took it. The second time I took half and it didn't work. I have a friend there who has a duaghter with Anorexia and she is allowed to come and go as she pleases and NO ONE says anything to her. They cannot deny me a very simple request unless it causes them undue hardship. And NO I never received any sort of employee handbook or even a job description when I started there. I was told. Work whenever as long as you work 40 hours.

clashcity19

You're just another person who clearly has no clue what it's like to live in the state of existence I live in. If I could get to sleep earlier, I would. It's not like I WANT this. I am disturbed by my inability to do something that most people can do with no problem. I am perfectly capable of doing my job without accommodations when my mental health is not disabling. I am capable of barely getting by when it's not. I want to excel not just get by. And furthermore, my issue is not with my school schedule. I knew I would have to look for other options if I couldn't clump all my classes into one or two days or in the evenings. But I did not deserve to be fired and they could have easily allowed me to do wht they allow EVERYONE else to do. I wasn't aware of this "set schedule" until I made my request. two days BEFORE I got fired. And it is not about sleeping in for an extra hour. It is about being able to take medication that causes me to be groggy in the mornings and my need to be able to adjust and "wake up" so I am not driving to work half-asleep.

Last edited:

Proserpina

You're just another person who clearly has no clue what it's like to live in the state of existence I live in. If I could get to sleep earlier, I would. It's not like I WANT this. I am disturbed by my inability to do something that most people can do with no problem. I am perfectly capable of doing my job without accommodations when my mental health is not disabling. I am capable of barely getting by when it's not. I want to excel not just get by. And furthermore, my issue is not with my school schedule. I knew I would have to look for other options if I couldn't clump all my classes into one or two days or in the evenings. But I did not deserve to be fired and they could have easily allowed me to do wht they allow EVERYONE else to do. I wasn't aware of this "set schedule" until I made my request.

Please speak with a local attorney to guide you further.

clashcity19

(And please do not assume that you know what others may or may not have experienced)
When one shows a lack of compassion what other assumption should I come to? If you've had this experience, I doubt you'd be such a jerk about it. Please consult with someone who can teach you how to be a nicer human being. Oh wait, it cannot be taught... it's there or it's not.

Last edited:

Proserpina

When one shows a lack of compassion what other assumption should I come to? If you've had this experience, I doubt you'd be such a jerk about it. Please consult with someone who can teach you how to be a nicer human being. Oh wait, it cannot be taught... it's there or it's not.

You're talking to a widow who lost a husband AND a child AND who suffers from more than one disabilities.

Thanks for trying, though.

Again, please consult with an attorney.

clashcity19

Wow, then it's hard to believe you are such a rude person. If someone came to me saying that they lost a child and husband and was having problems at work because of it, I certainly wouldn't respond with an answer that only served to be rude and condescending. If you read ALL of my post, I have consulted with an attorney locally. I am here because I am trying to prepare myself. I don't want to get into a pissing contest about who has a worse life. Just surprised that you are so rude to someone since you know what it is like to suffer. People who survive tragedies should stick together, not drive wedges between each other. If I had a whole lot of legal knowledge, I wouldn't be here. If I was not feeling desperate and unable to control my anxiety I wouldn't be here. You have pretty much just made my night a lot worse, but it was my own fault coming here. The results are always the same. When a person feels desperate enough, they will do things that don't make a whole lot of sense. I hate this life I am living and I just want to be treated with fairness and as a human being. Part of that is being able to see there are limitations put upon people that are painful and outside of a person's realm of control. I am not some moron who just fell off the back of the turnip truck, but I am in a state of panic and confusion. I see I came to the wrong place to find relief. I will hope happy thoughts for you in your set of circumstances and I will deal with mine... how i don't know but I always seem to do it. goodnight. thanks for not trying.

Proserpina

Wow, then it's hard to believe you are such a rude person. If someone came to me saying that they lost a child and husband and was having problems at work because of it, I certainly wouldn't respond with an answer that only served to be rude and condescending. If you read ALL of my post, I have consulted with an attorney locally. I am here because I am trying to prepare myself. I don't want to get into a pissing contest about who has a worse life. Just surprised that you are so rude to someone since you know what it is like to suffer. People who survive tragedies should stick together, not drive wedges between each other. If I had a whole lot of legal knowledge, I wouldn't be here. If I was not feeling desperate and unable to control my anxiety I wouldn't be here. You have pretty much just made my night a lot worse, but it was my own fault coming here. The results are always the same. When a person feels desperate enough, they will do things that don't make a whole lot of sense. I hate this life I am living and I just want to be treated with fairness and as a human being. Part of that is being able to see there are limitations put upon people that are painful and outside of a person's realm of control. I am not some moron who just fell off the back of the turnip truck, but I am in a state of panic and confusion. I see I came to the wrong place to find relief. I will hope happy thoughts for you in your set of circumstances and I will deal with mine... how i don't know but I always seem to do it. goodnight.

Indulge me, please?

This isn't an emotional support forum, and neither is the other forum where you posted the same question. There ARE myriad resources online to help you with that. These forums though are about legalities.

Re-read my posts here - exactly where was I rude? Because you said something here that you omitted on the other forum and I called you on it because it might - just might - have made a difference? And then I advised you to speak with local counsel?

:confused::confused::confused:

clashcity19

If you have information that could be helpful that i accidentally omitted in my other post then indulge me! This forum is for legalities, not to "call people out." And yes you were rude. and No this is not an emotional support forum, but there's this thing called common decency. It's important to me, but obviously not you and the majority of the people who post on here. Indulge ME. That's what I came here for. Or are you just trolling? So if you aren't gonna be helpful, then quit responding. I don't want help from some know-it-all, hollow person who speaks just for the sake of proving how smart they perceive themselves to be. Let someone else help me if you aren't going to and quit treating me like a moron. I hope things get better in your life so you arent so miserable. If I believed in God, I would even pray for you cause you seem to need it as much as I do, if not more.

Proserpina

It's okay if you want to make me the bad guy.

Go ahead. I'm a big girl and I've dealt with much worse. But please - get yourself help in the meantime. You need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">