• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rehire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buddhajoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I left a company on good terms. Was eligable for rehire. Position opened up, wanted to return. was told that i could come back. asked why i wanted to come back, one of the reasons was because i had been diagnosed with cancer and wanted to laugh a bit and i enjoyed the kids and employees. then their tuned changed. Was pased over a few times saying that i didn't have enough experience(8yrs of service) and then they denied that they said i could come back. looked into a discrimination situation. a position opened up and now they are saying i am not eligable for rehire. can they do that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Overall, they have no legal obligation to rehire you. However, if you believe that the only reason you are listed as ineligible for rehire is your cancer, you can contact the EEOC.

Hot Topic

When the position opened up, did they actually tell you that it was yours when they found out you wanted to work for them again, then change their minds after you told them you had cancer?

Having eight years of service doesn't automatically mean you're qualified for any position. I've worked for a company for nine, but that doesn't automatically qualify me to be an analyst, though I've worked with them for all nine years.

I think you would be better off concentrating on your medical condition and not on your former company. If they have the kind of attitude about cancer that you think they do, they're not a good fit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">