• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Religion Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sharksfan3

State: New York

The following is direct quote from my employers "code of conduct." This is a large company and it's name will not be given.

>>"To honor God in all we do
We believe that every person — regardless of personal beliefs or differences — has been created in the image and likeness of God. We seek to recognize the dignity, worth and potential of each individual and believe that everyone has intrinsic worth and value. This objective challenges us to have commitment to truth and to deliver what we promise. It provides the basis for our belief in servant leadership. It is not an expression of a particular religious belief, or a basis for exclusion. Rather, it is a mandate for inclusion, and a constant reminder for us to do the right thing in the right way."<<

My comments:
1) This should be apart of any employers code of conduct.
2) I find it offensive. It is NOT in line with my beliefs
3) The statement "...regardless of personal beliefs or differences..." tells me that only the companies beliefs are important.
4) The statement "We honor God" is found at the beginning of all trainning videos.

What are your thoughts in this code of conduct? Do I have a cause for complaint?

I am not looking for a discussion on right or wrong personal beliefs.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sharksfan3 said:
State: New York

"What are your thoughts in this code of conduct? Do I have a cause for complaint?"

====================================

My response:

What do you mean by "complaint"?

A Civil complaint; i.e., a lawsuit?

Or

A "complaint" within your company?

What kind of "company" is this?

IAAL

S

sharksfan3

Re: Re: Religion Discrimination

Not a lawsuit. Just a complaint with the EEOC.

I work for a lawn care company that is a branch of a large corporation.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Re: Re: Religion Discrimination

sharksfan3 said:
Not a lawsuit. Just a complaint with the EEOC.

I work for a lawn care company that is a branch of a large corporation.

My response:

First of all, their "Motto" or "Credo" is not discriminatory. It's a private company, not a State or Federal agency or a school. In fact, the statement is quite "neutral". It is not a prayer, but a type of expression that they are entitled to under the First Amendment. No one is forcing it down your throat, or disciplining you because you may disagree with the "Motto".

Second, should the EEOC disagree with you (and they will), do you know what the next step would be if you still believe this is "wrong". That's right, a Civil lawsuit.

IAAL

Beth3

The constitution provides for freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. Unless you can demonstrate that you are being discriminated against on the basis of religion, you have no claim.

The employer's policy ("It is not an expression of a particular religious belief, or a basis for exclusion. Rather it is a mandate for inclusion...") makes it quite clear that they do not intend to discriminate based on anyone's religion or religious beliefs. If you don't agree with this employer's philosopy of mutual respect and tolerance, you are free to ignore it as long as your behavior doesn't violate any company rules or look for a job elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">