• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reminder letter - is it legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoBlack4949

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I have been wrongfully terminated, but of course under Arizona law I can’t prove it. The company sends a very well-crafted document reminding me of the legal ramifications if I don't follow it. I just received one yesterday, 6 months after I was fired. This was my first time being fired in 40 years.
My health has deteriorated and was I seeking Counseling for a while as a result of the job loss. My heart rate raises every time I see or hear about the company and to this day I can’t sleep well. I force myself to let go, but to this day, even though I moved on and have a new job, it is difficult knowing the crap they pulled not only on me but lots of other good people.

Is it within my legal rights to request to be left alone and ask them to stop sending these letters? I fear for my own safety and the safety of others around me.

Thanks for any advice.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no law preventing you from asking them to stop sending the letters. There is also no law obligating them to agree to your request.

What law do you think the company violated by terming you? What did you agree to that they are reminding you of? Why do you believe they feel the need to send multiple reminders?

commentator

I'm sure that when you spoke with your counselor they told you that being fired from a job, while often a fairly traumatic experience, is not in any way uncommon in today's society, and that it is something you should not internalize as a reflection of your personal competence or character. Not all companies are worthy of us. Not all bosses can be or should be pleased.

Some of the things you are saying still, six months and reemployment later, are the sort of things that are quite unproductive to say. Dwelling on how poorly you were treated, how poorly the company is treating everyone, how this is the only time in 40 years that you were ever terminated (which honestly, is a rare statistic!) those sort of things will lead to your being quite unhappy about something that happened, was very very likely quite legal, and is the reality of the world here in this time and place.

You may have had a few illusions about the legal requirements on how they treat employees, the fairness of the world in general, and the number of workplace protections that a worker actually has in our workplaces today in this country. And then this bad experience happened to you. But now it's time to move on.

I don't think it would be a good thing for us to work out whether or not you were wrongfully terminated or discuss the details here. You can't sue them, the letters are probably accurate, but that they are still sending them out says much more about what a yucky place they are (and that they know it!) than the bad experience you have had and have now recovered from.

Last edited:

RRevak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I have been wrongfully terminated, but of course under Arizona law I can’t prove it. The company sends a very well-crafted document reminding me of the legal ramifications if I don't follow it. I just received one yesterday, 6 months after I was fired. This was my first time being fired in 40 years.
My health has deteriorated and was I seeking Counseling for a while as a result of the job loss. My heart rate raises every time I see or hear about the company and to this day I can’t sleep well. I force myself to let go, but to this day, even though I moved on and have a new job, it is difficult knowing the crap they pulled not only on me but lots of other good people.

Is it within my legal rights to request to be left alone and ask them to stop sending these letters? I fear for my own safety and the safety of others around me.

Thanks for any advice.
You seem to have some serious issues if letters from your previous employer cause the bolded. You're either a troll or a ticking time bomb. Either way, get off the internet and get on the phone immediately with a treatment center before you end up on your local news...:eek: :mad:

JoBlack4949

There is no law preventing you from asking them to stop sending the letters. There is also no law obligating them to agree to your request.

What law do you think the company violated by terming you? What did you agree to that they are reminding you of? Why do you believe they feel the need to send multiple reminders?

No idea why i even bother coming here. It is quite comical if I think about it. I never said anything about termination other than stating the original fact so you can understand the story. I just said, i am well aware I cannot do anything about it. I worked for a technology company. I agree not divulge their secrets.

No idea why they need to send reminder other than perhaps they feel insecure and lonely.

JoBlack4949

You seem to have some serious issues if letters from your previous employer cause the bolded. You're either a troll or a ticking time bomb. Either way, get off the internet and get on the phone immediately with a treatment center before you end up on your local news...:eek: :mad:
Brilliant... I'll do that but to answer your concern I am right in between a troll and a time bomb. You wouldn't know but that equates to a very normal person with concerns only. You've been there? Do they serve jello?

indebtt

Assuming this quoted answer is correct, can the OP just send the letter back when they see the company name on the envelope ?
i.e. Return to Sender / Address Unknown or is it illegal to say on a delivered item the address unknown if you really do know/are the person that was supposed to get the letter ?

JoBlack4949

I'm sure that when you spoke with your counselor they told you that being fired from a job, while often a fairly traumatic experience, is not in any way uncommon in today's society, and that it is something you should not internalize as a reflection of your personal competence or character. Not all companies are worthy of us. Not all bosses can be or should be pleased.

Some of the things you are saying still, six months and reemployment later, are the sort of things that are quite unproductive to say. Dwelling on how poorly you were treated, how poorly the company is treating everyone, how this is the only time in 40 years that you were ever terminated (which honestly, is a rare statistic!) those sort of things will lead to your being quite unhappy about something that happened, was very very likely quite legal, and is the reality of the world here in this time and place.

You may have had a few illusions about the legal requirements on how they treat employees, the fairness of the world in general, and the number of workplace protections that a worker actually has in our workplaces today in this country. And then this bad experience happened to you. But now it's time to move on.

I don't think it would be a good thing for us to work out whether or not you were wrongfully terminated or discuss the details here. You can't sue them, the letters are probably accurate, but that they are still sending them out says much more about what a yucky place they are (and that they know it!) than the bad experience you have had and have now recovered from.

Thanks for your post. At least a bit more insightful. It was never my intent to explain my termination. I simply mentioned it in hope to tie my story to the question I am seeking answer to. It is a big difference between a person getting fired from jobs after jobs then someone who doesn't. Most likely he/she might be able to cope differently than me. There has to be an emotional distress or harassment law fitting this case that prohibits them for contacting me again in the future if it is requested. No?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Since 95% of the people who post here and believe they were wrongfully terminated were wrong, I'll assume you are also wrong.

If you were to answer my questions, I might have had some insight for you but since you opt not to and think my response, comical, I'll simply wish you good day.

JoBlack4949

Since 95% of the people who post here and believe they were wrongfully terminated were wrong, I'll assume you are also wrong.

If you were to answer my questions, I might have had some insight for you but since you opt not to and think my response, comical, I'll simply wish you good day.
Once again, I never asked a question related to my termination. I can guarantee you I am in that 4% above the %95 you claim to be wrong. You know what they say "Assuming is the mother of all ****-ups". But thanks and good day to you as well.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, I'm aware you never asked a question about your termination. I WAS offering to help you with what options you may have had anyway. If it really were wrongful, there WOULD be something you could do about it and, had you answered the question, I would have told you what that something would be. Since you remain adamant that there's nothing you can do, it stands to reason that it was not wrongful. The offer is now withdrawn and you are encouraged to commit an indecent act with yourself.

RRevak

Yes, I'm aware you never asked a question about your termination. I WAS offering to help you with what options you may have had anyway. If it really were wrongful, there WOULD be something you could do about it and, had you answered the question, I would have told you what that something would be. Since you remain adamant that there's nothing you can do, it stands to reason that it was not wrongful. The offer is now withdrawn and you are encouraged to commit an indecent act with yourself.
I'm pretty sure OP is far enough off their rocker that the rocker no longer exists and is now collecting dust in the corner. That pretty much means anything you said would have either been misconstrued or ignored completely. So don't fret, you're still wonderful for trying....and the bolded makes you amazing :D

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm pretty sure OP is far enough off their rocker that the rocker no longer exists and is now collecting dust in the corner. That pretty much means anything you said would have either been misconstrued or ignored completely. So don't fret, you're still wonderful for trying....and the bolded makes you amazing :D
If the rocker no longer exists, how can it be collecting dust anywhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">