• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Remote employee on a video all day at home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marisol00

I've been working with the company 1+ years. I've been working with my manager for 5+ years. My commute to work is 2 hours and cost $27 per day. When my manager made an offer, the deal was I come 3 times per week to the office and every sencond week 2 times.
14 months later my manager said he wants to have a separate computer for me in the office, so when I work remotely everyone can see me and ask questions if needed. My question is -- is it legal? What this means is I seat all day in front of my computer at home and people in the office just watching me.
We use google hangouts for video meeting, we use slack for a quick chat.
Moreover, my manager knows that my husband works from home all week (we have one office for 2) and my small kid is at home 2 days a week (not necesary the same days as I'm home, but at least one day per week).
How about privacy? Any legal advice before I talk to him and refuse this stupid thing? He wants to control everyone. Nothing about a quality of my work. We work together 5 years. Thanks

Last edited:

tranquility

I've been working with the company 1+ years. I've been working with my manager for 5+ years. My commute to work is 2 hours and cost $27 per day. When my manager made an offer, the deal was I come 3 times per week to the office and every sencond week 2 times.
14 months later my manager said he wants to have a separate computer for me in the office, so when I work remotely everyone can see me and ask questions if needed. My question is -- is it legal? What this means is I seat all day in front of my computer at home and people in the office just watching me.
We use google hangouts for video meeting, we use slack for a quick chat.
Moreover, my manager knows that my husband works from home all week (we have one office for 2) and my small kid is at home 2 days a week (not necesary the same days as I'm home, but at least one day per week).
How about privacy? Any legal advice before I talk to him and refuse this stupid thing? He wants to control everyone. Nothing about a quality of my work. We work together 5 years. Thanks
Legal? Yes. There is nothing even remotely illegal about what you say. Nothing.

Someday? Maybe, who knows. I think not, but, even in the future, probably not. Having your employer video you as you do your job (outside of bathroom or lunch breaks) is not illegal in any way.

Employers like control unless they are more enlightened on giving discretion to the employee. But, they are paying for your time. They can supervise it as they will.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My commute is slightly over two hours, each way, and costs me just under $27 a day, so I get it. I really do.

That said, if you were in the office they could see you all day. What are you doing at home that you don't want them to see?

There is nothing even remotely illegal in what they are suggesting. There is also nothing illegal if they pull their permission for you to work from home at all and require that you come in five days a week, if you object to their requirements.

Marisol00

My commute is slightly over two hours, each way, and costs me just under $27 a day, so I get it. I really do.

That said, if you were in the office they could see you all day. What are you doing at home that you don't want them to see?

There is nothing even remotely illegal in what they are suggesting. There is also nothing illegal if they pull their permission for you to work from home at all and require that you come in five days a week, if you object to their requirements.
When my manager brought me to this company he increased my salary exactly for that amount I spend commuting half week. Plus, I have a small kid, he knows this. Those days when I'm in the office I see her from 7pm to 8pm. That's it. I'm a mom. My manager knows me for 5 years. That was his offer about half week remotely knowing it's expensive to commute and that I have a baby. He wanted to have me in this company. I worked in a company 20 mins from home before.

As I said my husband works from home all week. He is engineer. Commuting once in a while (3 hours commute). We share the office. I don't want my co-workers watching me / us on a tv on wall. People at work don't care about others. But if they see the tv on wall what do you think they could think?
Sometimes my kid is home those days. We take turn with my husband and stay with her for 30 mins each, she plays / does art next to us, we work, but still talk to her. I'm a designer, I'm now a VIP that they need me all day long. It's just a privacy issue. So, I'd like to have some more legal info on this

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not a matter addressed by law. There is no law that says your employer cannot do this. Therefore, he can.

Silverplum

When my manager brought me to this company he increased my salary exactly for that amount I spend commuting half week. Plus, I have a small kid, he knows this. Those days when I'm in the office I see her from 7pm to 8pm. That's it. I'm a mom. My manager knows me for 5 years. That was his offer about half week remotely knowing it's expensive to commute and that I have a baby. He wanted to have me in this company. I worked in a company 20 mins from home before.

As I said my husband works from home all week. He is engineer. Commuting once in a while (3 hours commute). We share the office. I don't want my co-workers watching me / us on a tv on wall. People at work don't care about others. But if they see the tv on wall what do you think they could think?
Sometimes my kid is home those days. We take turn with my husband and stay with her for 30 mins each, she plays / does art next to us, we work, but still talk to her. I'm a designer, I'm now a VIP that they need me all day long. It's just a privacy issue. So, I'd like to have some more legal info on this
You don't have the right to work from home, and being a mom is not a reason to give you special privileges.

LdiJ

You might try putting it to your manager that there is no private space in your home to have the computer, that you and your husband share an office, and that your husband objects to having his and the children's privacy invaded.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You might also be prepared for the manager to say, Do this, or start commuting 5 days a week.

Yes, he can do that.

Yes, he can fire you if you don't.

No, it does not matter in the least that he has allowed you to work from home up to now.

TigerD

If you are truly a VIP, be prepared for the company to accede to your requests. Than replace you at the first opportunity.

Good luck

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">