• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reprimanded because of my wife's service dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OHRoadwarrior

It is not your service dog. Therefore you have no protection for it in terms of your review. A place of business is just that. You are responsible for the actions of non employees you bring on property. There may be employees with dog allergies that complained.

commentator

The sooner you get over this and move on, the sooner everyone else in your workplace will too. Demanding your rights in the workplace doesn't work well. especially when it is a subjective issue, a right you really do not have.

In my many years of working for the same entity, there were years when I got questionable or less than perfect reviews, many times totally unjustified and because of some trumped up issues, simply because one of my managers wanted to quash me, was being very unfair to me, or just plain old didn't like me. Ultimately, they didn't hurt me. Those people were forgotten, I did well, moved on, it was daily drama in the course of a lifetime.

I once received a serious bad grade in a graduate class simply because I had a couple of newborn puppies that I was caring for which I brought to class with me in a laundry basket because I had no place to put them otherwise while attending class. They were in the back of the classroom, caused no disruption of any kind, and I was as quiet and respectful as I could be about it all. But how was I to know that this professor was a serious dog hater? I had no appeal with the department, (I tried) the bad grade had nothing to do with my performance on tests, but it purely made this guy hate me because I brought my two puppies into his classroom. I was younger, not as experienced. Nowadays, I'd have hired someone to sit with them somewhere. Live and learn. Don't demand rights you don't have, just because it would've been the right thing for the employer to do.

P.S. It sounds like your service dog is a great help to your wife, and I am very glad. I'd have been delighted to come outside and meet your wife and this service dog.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">