• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this request legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blazon3

What is the name of your state? MA

I am posting this here, because it didn't seem to fit under any of the other thread categories.

Is it legal for a supervisor to constantly tell her employess to not be out sick? My supervisor at work has many responsibilities, as she is currently serving in more than one position (this was her own doing as she actively sought out and applied for the numerous positions). My work situation is such that if I am out, she must cover me for that day.

I am not out frequently. I make her aware in advance of any vacation or personal time that I plan to use, and have frequently been able to make arrangements for other persons to cover for me. I have also on occasion negotiated with her as to my planned days off, if the days I plan to be out are not convenient for her to cover me.

I, like everyone else, do become sick and call out on occasion. Is it legal for her to request me not to?

Thanks for any feedback.

Beth3

Yes, perfectly legal, as long as she does not violate the federal Family and Medical Leave act, assuming both the company and you are subject to that law.

If you don't know what that is, a simple internet search on the FMLA will give you all the information you need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">