• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Requesting a different type of drug screen method from an employer / posible employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michigan

Would anyone here know the best way to request an employer to order a drug screen other than the regular urine test?

Here's my situation: I'm dealing with a medical condition that can make these on-demand urine tests a little tricky, for a number of reasons. I called a testing lab and ask them what to do about this, and they said to just ask the employer to request a saliva or hair follicle test. So how do I ask without advertising that I've got a weird illness and exempting myself from the hiring process - essentially.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not knowing your employer, it's impossible to say what would be the "best" way of asking. But just so that you're aware and can take this information into consideration, your employer has NO legal obligation to agree to your request. Whether they will or not, I can't say. But they CAN, quite legally, say No and insist on the urine tests.

Proserpina

Michigan

Would anyone here know the best way to request an employer to order a drug screen other than the regular urine test?

Here's my situation: I'm dealing with a medical condition that can make these on-demand urine tests a little tricky, for a number of reasons. I called a testing lab and ask them what to do about this, and they said to just ask the employer to request a saliva or hair follicle test. So how do I ask without advertising that I've got a weird illness and exempting myself from the hiring process - essentially.

Thanks

Which weird illness would this be which causes false positives in the standardized drug tests?

Which weird illness would this be which causes false positives in the standardized drug tests?
I didn't say anything about false positives, did I? It's performing the test that's the problem. It's like testing if someone is a smoker by having them run up and down several flights of stairs. It's a fin test until you have to test a guy with one leg, or no legs.

Isis1

I didn't say anything about false positives, did I? It's performing the test that's the problem. It's like testing if someone is a smoker by having them run up and down several flights of stairs. It's a fin test until you have to test a guy with one leg, or no legs.
at that point, you may have to speak with the HR rep. if you are physically unable to take a test in the manner it is usually given, at some point, you are going to have to same something.

at that point, you may have to speak with the HR rep. if you are physically unable to take a test in the manner it is usually given, at some point, you are going to have to same something.
No kidding Isis... That's what I'm asking, how should I go about doing it without effectively disqualifying myself? I know this isn't an HR forum, but the HR forums I've visited are empty. This is the best place I've found so far to ask this odd question.

Isis1

No kidding Isis... That's what I'm asking, how should I go about doing it without effectively disqualifying myself? I know this isn't an HR forum, but the HR forums I've visited are empty. This is the best place I've found so far to ask this odd question.
you know, we have a few awesome HR personnel here. however, being that it is so late, i suspect they are asleep at this point. check back in the morning, maybe bump your thread.

i believe cbg and commentator are pretty knowledgeable in regards to those matters.

commentator

Thank you Isis.:)

Frankly, I cannot think of a way that your "weird illness," such as high blood sugar or something of the type would affect your testing results so that you tested positive for any of the eight to ten substances that are going to be screened for. They test diabetics and such people with "normal illnesses" all the time. If the problem is with say maybe, passing urine for the testing under the circumstances of the test, (can't pee in the cup, have to be catherized, have to stand on my head or lie on the floor to pass urine) I would still take my chances with the testing people and make the try before I asked for different consideration.

Remember the company makes its own policies, it's not the police state that they have to satisfy by doing this drug testing. Their management has elected to do a certain standard type of testing, they probably contract for it, and the people doing the hiring are going to be very repelled by a person who is requesting that they make some sort of exception to their normal drug testing routine for some hinky reason. They quite likely are in the first place not going to agree to accomodate such a request, and two, are going to eliminate you as a candidate for the job for asking.

They do not, remember, have to hire anyone, and they do not have to make it easy for you to be hired or make extra accomodations for something that is not a recognized limitation or condition and that you have not told them about in the first place.

Has this ever happened to you, or are you sitting around thinking of ways to get around something that isn't even an issue yet?

What I would do is go ahead and take the test when offered an opportunity to do so as a prerequisite for hiring. If it showed that I had failed the test, which I am interested in whether it would or not, if this is really a condition or illness you have and not a devotion to medicinal weed, then at that point you could do some 'splaining and ask them to give you the hair or follicle test. Whether or not they would would depend on whether or not you were a really really excellent candidate and they really really wanted you otherwise.

But asking for an exception before the test does nothing but indicate a possible expectation of a problem, in other words, I like to smoke dope, can you give me a test I have a better chance of cooking? I hate to waste time with the regular old urinalysis. Conditions like a nervous bladder or needle phobia (remember that one, gang?) do not have a lot of credibility.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, I'm going to be blunt here.

Is the problem what a urine test will show, or is the problem actually producing urine?

My answer will depend on which it is.

Thank you Isis.:)

Frankly, I cannot think of a way that your "weird illness," such as high blood sugar or something of the type would affect your testing results so that you tested positive for any of the eight to ten substances that are going to be screened for. They test diabetics and such people with "normal illnesses" all the time. If the problem is with say maybe, passing urine for the testing under the circumstances of the test, (can't pee in the cup, have to be catherized, have to stand on my head or lie on the floor to pass urine) I would still take my chances with the testing people and make the try before I asked for different consideration.

Remember the company makes its own policies, it's not the police state that they have to satisfy by doing this drug testing. Their management has elected to do a certain standard type of testing, they probably contract for it, and the people doing the hiring are going to be very repelled by a person who is requesting that they make some sort of exception to their normal drug testing routine for some hinky reason. They quite likely are in the first place not going to agree to accomodate such a request, and two, are going to eliminate you as a candidate for the job for asking.

They do not, remember, have to hire anyone, and they do not have to make it easy for you to be hired or make extra accomodations for something that is not a recognized limitation or condition and that you have not told them about in the first place.

Has this ever happened to you, or are you sitting around thinking of ways to get around something that isn't even an issue yet?

What I would do is go ahead and take the test when offered an opportunity to do so as a prerequisite for hiring. If it showed that I had failed the test, which I am interested in whether it would or not, if this is really a condition or illness you have and not a devotion to medicinal weed, then at that point you could do some 'splaining and ask them to give you the hair or follicle test. Whether or not they would would depend on whether or not you were a really really excellent candidate and they really really wanted you otherwise.

But asking for an exception before the test does nothing but indicate a possible expectation of a problem, in other words, I like to smoke dope, can you give me a test I have a better chance of cooking? I hate to waste time with the regular old urinalysis. Conditions like a nervous bladder or needle phobia (remember that one, gang?) do not have a lot of credibility.
Frankly, I cannot think of a way that your "weird illness,"
That's probably why you're answering questions on a legal forum instead of a medical forum... ;-)

Why is everyone so paranoid that I'm trying to get around a test for weed/dope/whatever? Is it such a problem? I've never had any of that and wouldn't know how to obtain it if I wanted to start. I realize my user name isn't helpful... (It was inspired by a photo I had of an actual horse eating actual weeds, crab grass to be exact) but seriously. Isn't the urine test the easier one to fool because you can take diuretics to dilute the urine or just drink a lot of water? (According to a kid I knew 15 years ago in community college, claimed he consumed marajuana on the way to the test.)

*sigh*

Regardless, I've had this problem in the past, but could usually manage. That was over 12 years ago, and my condition has worsened by a lot since then, nearly killing me two distinct times, and has recently gotten a bit more under control. I plan on getting a job again in the next couple years - I hope.

I think you basically confirmed my initial thought though commentator. Regardless of the legitimacy of my request, I'll be suddenly guilty of wild drug use and be disqualified if I ask.

You must be allowed to use urinary catheters in the test, right? Not that it would solve my problem.

CBG: No problem with what the urine will show. It's a problem with the urinary system and providing urine on command. I started typing out an explanation of the specifics as to why, but I gave up.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're not making it easy, are you? A hint for the future - when you are asking for volunteers to provide you with their expertise for free, it behooves you to make the information they request available to them in the manner that they suggest and not make them go hunting for it. There are plenty of other posters I can be helping in the time it takes to go rooting through your posts trying to find the information.

So do you want my help or don't you?

You're not making it easy, are you? A hint for the future - when you are asking for volunteers to provide you with their expertise for free, it behooves you to make the information they request available to them in the manner that they suggest and not make them go hunting for it. There are plenty of other posters I can be helping in the time it takes to go rooting through your posts trying to find the information.

So do you want my help or don't you?
I think you wrote your [Today 10:19 AM] post while I was writing my [Today 10:30 AM] post. After I saw your post, I went back and edited my old one adding the response addressed specifically to you at the end. We're dealing with a stateless protocol here cbg. On my forum I have a warning system when this happens, but we don't here, so I'll make separate posts from now on to avoid rooting.

And yes, I would like some help here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">