• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Required Charitable Functions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbreak

SOUTH CAROLINA

My employer recently posted a "voluntary sign up sheet" to participate in a charitable function that the company is supporting. It has been made clear that not signing up for this "voluntary" function could cause a problem with future employment or raises.

Are there any laws or labor dept rules which protect an employee from being required to participate in an employer's pet charity projects?

Thanks in advance.

Beth3

Nope.

If you're non-exempt and are required to attend, they must pay you for your time however.

rbreak

Interesting. I am curious as to why they specifically stated on the sign-up sheet that the event "is of course, voluntary" if they weren't required to do so?

Especially since the event doesn't appear to be so voluntary. Why not just say it is mandatory?

Thanks again.

P.S. What is "non-exempt?"

Last edited:

Beth3

Non-exempt refers to those employees who are typically paid on an hourly basis and who MUST be paid for their overtime.

I can only guess that the company put that the event was voluntary on the sign-up sheet, despite the fact that it's may in fact be mandatory, in the hopes of not having it be construed as compensible time. You may want to give your State's Department of Labor/wage and hour division a call for further clarification and information gathering. The applicable federal law is the Fair Labor Standards Act and I'm sure your State will have it's own version of that law as well.

You should be aware though that there is nothing that would prevent an employer from using participation in a truly voluntary event or community service programs as a criteria for promotion. It can help demonstrate leadership potential and many employers actively support volunteerism on the part of their employees.

There's a fine line here between voluntary and "mandatory" that probably needs to be explored.

rbreak

Thank you again. I am not hourly - I am on salary. I don't know if that changes things.

I also particpate in a great number of charitable functions for - and outside of - the company - I just didn't want to sign up for this particular one for personal reasons regarding the charity involved.

I find it interesting/mildly amusing that employers are encouraging "forced volunteerism."

Now THERE'S an oxymoron.

I will look into the state laws as well.

Beth3

If by "salaried" you mean you are in an exempt positon, then all this is moot. Exempt employees needed not be paid any additional compensation over and above their fixed weekly salary for any reason. The company can mandate you participate in any programs they wish and they do not need to compensate you for your time.

Don't waste your time looking into State laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">