• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retaliation and hostile workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

greystar

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I have worked with my employer for over two years. for the last year I have not been promoted. At one of many meetings between myself and my evassive higher up (district leader) she told me that She would not promote becasue I filed a complaint against her. Is this retaliation? I filed a compliant with my human resource manager under the open door policy. The HR manager did not contact me for more details, she did tell the DL that I filed the complaint. Everytime a postion that I am seeking opens up I notify my DL, only to have her tell me we need to have a meeting and then by the time we have the meeting she has posted someone else in the position who is a bad employee. In January I interviewed with the Regional Recruiter (RR) at the end of the meeting she told me that I would be moved up to the MIT program (manager in training program). A fellow coworker also attended and was told the same thing. A week later I was told that in 3-6 months I MIGHT be promoted while my coworker was moved up. I feel that I am being retalied against for complaining to the HR manager. I also have another complaint against my employer. Some people began discussing my sexuality and other coworkers complained to the DL. My workplace claims to have a zero tolerance policy in regards to this. However NOTHING was done and I had to work in a hostile work enviornment. Do I have any claims against my employer? Any Help would be appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When you say, co-workers are discussing your sexuality, what do you mean? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but more detail is necessary before it can be determined whether you have a hostile working environment under the law or not, and it makes a VERY big difference to the rest of the answer to that part of the question.

As far as the "retaliation" part of the question goes, however, you have no case. "Retaliation" because you complained about a manager is not illegal. To be illegal retaliation, the behavior you complain about has to be something for which your company could get into legal trouble. For example, if your company was breaking wage laws, discrimination laws, OSHA standards, employing illegals, or something of that kind, and you complained to the appropriate regulatory agency, any retaliation to THAT would be illegal and you would have protection. But an internal complaint about a manager does not come with protection. As far as I know (and I could be wrong about this) your state does not offer protection for internal complaints no matter what the issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">