• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliation from peers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janelle.m.taylo

Arizona:

I started a new job about 5 months ago and right away I was sexually harassed by a co-worker who has a reputation for sexually harassing female co-workers. I filed a complaint and he was terminated after an (delayed) investigation. Since he was term'd, his friend ("Jim") that works with me has avoided me and been very curt towards me.

An incident arose last week where I showed a newer male co-worker ("Tom") my tank top because I was sweating in my rib cage area. No skin was bared, nothing inappropriate was stated, and Tom and I did not take this situation as more than light-hearted. Tom went to the Jim and told him what had happened; Tom didn't know about the previous incident and had no prior knowledge of Jim's disdain for me. Jim went up to management and said there was something inappropriate happening between Tom and I and that I had sexually harassed him by showing him my breasts.

Tom and I have both been interviewed and our stories align that nothing serious happened and that there was no skin bared, as Jim stated there was. What can I do about this situation? I'm tired of feeling guilty because I stood up for myself.

Proserpina

Arizona:

I started a new job about 5 months ago and right away I was sexually harassed by a co-worker who has a reputation for sexually harassing female co-workers. I filed a complaint and he was terminated after an (delayed) investigation. Since he was term'd, his friend ("Jim") that works with me has avoided me and been very curt towards me.

An incident arose last week where I showed a newer male co-worker ("Tom") my tank top because I was sweating in my rib cage area. No skin was bared, nothing inappropriate was stated, and Tom and I did not take this situation as more than light-hearted. Tom went to the Jim and told him what had happened; Tom didn't know about the previous incident and had no prior knowledge of Jim's disdain for me. Jim went up to management and said there was something inappropriate happening between Tom and I and that I had sexually harassed him by showing him my breasts.

Tom and I have both been interviewed and our stories align that nothing serious happened and that there was no skin bared, as Jim stated there was. What can I do about this situation? I'm tired of feeling guilty because I stood up for myself.

There's nothing to do. If Jim thinks sexual harassment is taking place, he has the right to report the incident.

But I have to ask. Why on earth would you even think of doing what you did?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's not retaliation. That's an appropriate response to a very bad judgement call on your part.

I do not disbelieve your characterization of what happened between you and Tom. But it was foolish to the nth degree of you to be engaging in that kind of behavior in the workplace, even in a lighthearted joking manner. Jim has just as much right to complain of inappropriate behavior as you do, and yes, it WAS inappropriate even if it was not sexual.

Hopefully nothing will come of this, but you've got no cause of complaint against Jim or anyone else except yourself. NOT for your sexual harassment complaint - good for you for doing that. But for playing around with behavior that could have been seen as sexual, even if it wasn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">