• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliation in the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsage465

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I feel that I am being retaliated at work. I have been working at my job for going on two years, and I enjoy most parts of it. The problem I was having is that my boss had promised me my .50 raise back in May. Every pay period, I checked for it, and it was not there. Id go to him and ask what was going on with it and he would give me some excuse like, corporate lost the paperwork or he just didnt have the time to get to it but he promised it would be on my next check, which never happened of course. So after several months of this, I decided talking to him wasnt going to help my situation, so I called corporate. The Sir that I talked to asked me about all of the convorsations and the date that it was first brought up and verified some of the information in his computer.. he then told me that he would call me back as he had to call and talk to my manager to see what was going on. When he called my manager he asked if he had indeed promised me a raise, which my manager answered that he couldve but he just doesnt remember even though two days before this we had talked about it and he said that it would "definately" be on my check this coming friday. Well because he said that he "could have" the Steve at corporate decided that he would back pay me the .50 an hour from May through present day. Which was great, I was very satisfied with that and thanked him for doing a great job and helping me figure this out. I thought everything was done and would be good now.. until I got to work. My boss immediately called me into the office and asked me Why I went above him, and that I shouldve just told him that I really needed my raise and he would have gotten it for me. I told him that I had no choice really, as I had gone to him many times, asking about my raise and nothing was happening. He then verbally informed me that I had new rules in the work place.. that were just for me. After this, he sent me out and called in the P.I.C.'s (Person(s) In Charge) aka Supervisors.. after there meeting one of them came up to me and told me that, My boss, had told them of what had gone on this morning and that I needed to be "Watched" and if I do anything wrong they need to write me up right away.

Now, heres my thing..

I dont know what to do...

If I should contact Steve at corporate again and let him know that Im in fear of loosing my job because of this..

Or..

If I should just do my best not to screw up and do my job the best I can and just keep to myself...

Or..

Is this a legal matter.. or would taking it to court cause me more problems.

I really cannot afford to loose my job.. especially with how hard it is to find one now days.. I am looking, just in case, but its rare! And If I loose this job and dont have another I will be out on the streets.. I just want to work at my job, get paid what Im suppose to, and get treated with respect and not have to be scared that if I do even the littlest thing wrong weather it be that I get to work 2 minutes late or I forget to clock out for my lunch.. Ill loose my job.. Please help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Retaliation" for going over your boss's head about a pay raise is not illegal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's right. It's not professional, but neither is it illegal. Contrary to popular belief, not all or even most retaliation in the workplace is illegal. Google at-will employment.

ecmst12

Being a bully is not illegal and if OP keeps pushing things he could easily find himself unemployed.

pattytx

BiPolarBear has shown, with his responses here, that he is not knowledgeable about employment law. cbg and ecmst12 are. Just sayin'.

cyjeff

When I was first starting my life as an employed person, my wizened father gave me the following advice.

If you ever go over the head of your superior, bring a box to work with you the next day. Because if the reason you went around your boss isn't enough to get HIM fired, you will need the box for your stuff.

las365

All of this drama over .50? Wonder what the OP does when he has a REAL problem.
Fifty cents an hour adds up to some $80 a month if you work full time. Over the six months or so that OP has waited for the promised raise, he lost out on about $500. That's a lot of money to some people.

I'm not saying that OP made the best choice in going over his supervisor's head, but I understand his frustration.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I do too. I think most people do.

The problem is that far too many people assume that if we say something is legal, it means we agree with the action the employer has taken. It doesn't. Sometimes we disagree violently with it. There are a lot of things in the law that I disagree with and would change if I could, and most of them would benefit the employee, not the employer.

But I wouldn't be doing the poster any good by telling him that something was illegal when it isn't. The fact of the matter is, it IS legal for a boss to retaliate against him for going over the boss's head in the matter of an overdue raise. Whether I like it or not.

Last edited:

cyjeff

To buttress cbg's comment....

We have learned the hard way to only answer in regards to the legal question.

I, too, have very much disagreed where the law and justice fork.

However, when we have put that opinion into the response, that is the portion upon which the OP seizes and then we spend the next 5 pages explaining away the confusion.

Believe me... i have been called all sorts of names and been told I am cold and unfeeling because of this... but it is what it is. I would rather not give false hope.

ANST

Document Everything

If you have been working there for almost 2 years and have no negative history or discplinary actions noted, this is good for you. I would document everything from here on in. Make sure you make copies of your paycheck with the beginning pay raise for the months missed. Then I would get as much information from Corporate in writing that proves the raise was granted via your boss. I would also check to see if there is a hotline to report such actions in this regard. Ask for a copy of your HR records noting the rule change specfically for you. Your situation has grounds for wrongful termination if they fire you for unjust cause under the circumstances. An employer can terminate at will, just as you can terminate at will. But because of the treatment you're getting, this clearly has law suit all over it. Forcing you to work in an uncomfortable environment that is unnecessarily stressful and forcing you to quit. You must be willing to stand the denial of thier actions and the pressure they will put you through to save their butts. Do your research in your state. Their are plenty of articles and topics under wrongful termination that should give you some information. Good Luck

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your situation has grounds for wrongful termination if they fire you for unjust cause under the circumstances.

Oh, does it really? Please state specifically what law would have been violated if the poster is fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">