• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dee Jay Dee

What is the name of your state? the name of my state is nc.
my problem began 3 years ago when i wrote to my retirement fund inquiring about my retirement benefits and date of eligibility. from long story to short story here it is. according to my records i have been employed since 1975, according to my retirement system the records reflect 1977. i received oral recognition from my company in 2000 for 25 yrs. of service. now it seems the company has only what the retirement system has and they say their personnel records don't go back that far? i am an active employee and i finally obtained verification from social security a detailed earnings and name of the employer benefits report that verified employment in 1975-present. i feel i
am being given the run around as now the company wants notorized statements from co-workers to verify i was there, etc. (all this was submitted to them over a year ago) and the retirement system is waiting on the company to verify. I have to request a retirement date no sooner than 90 days and I have been trying to do this for 21/2 years, but no one will acknowledge my service time. if i sumit a date of 10/1/03 and i only needed 3 more months to credit me with another year of service and $100 more a month retirement for life then i just gave away that as i cannot continue to work after i submit this date. do i need to contact the labor board or just what do you suggest my recourse would be short of the expense of an attorney?

Beth3

It sounds as though you have a defined benefit retirement plan (i.e. a "pension" plan), in which case I suggest you contact the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation in Washington DC - they are thea gov't agency who oversee employers' adminstration of pension funds and can advise you. 202-326-4040 (www.pgbc.gov)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">