• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HollyBonJovi

What is the name of your state? CT

Hello, I was recently laid off from a state job due to budget cuts, which I'm not arguing. There is a woman at my former job whos mother is a state representative and in good with the governor... She was given a position at this job because of that. It is an understanding amoungst everyone, including the executive director. that she is there for that reason and that reason only. She does not work. She reads a book all day. This is no exageration. Occasionally she will staple things for us but that's really it. She isn't qualified for even the simplest filing procedures we have. Anyway, my question is this: Is this legal???? What action can I or someone still working there take? Since the layoffs, that office is on a skeleton crew and they need all the help they can get whether it be myself or someone else. She is nothing but dead weight. But because of her ties, she gets paid for reading a book. Thanks for any advice offered.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I wish I could give you a different answer but yes, it is legal. In selecting who is to be laid off, they may not use factors such as age, gender, race, and other factors that are protected by Title VII or state law, but they can use whatever factors they want otherwise including seniority, which projects the employee is/were working on, and who the employee is related to. It may not be fair but it is legal. If they want to have an employee on staff during critical times who does not pull her weight, they can. If they don't care how she's behaving, there's nothing that you can do about it, and if they do care, they have to deal with it, not you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">