• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kdickers

Longest teniored employees ( supervisors)moved to other shifts. Management states to add knowledge to weaker performing shifts but also allow bilingual supervisors to be moved. I understand business needs but because I do not fluently speak another language? I communicate very well and am able to perform my jod with no issues as are the other 4

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your written English is worse than that of a fourth grader; that might be one reason.

It is 100% legal to give preference to people who speak other languages fluently. You want a different shift and you have to be bi-lingual to get the shift you want? Invest in some language tapes and learn one.

Silverplum

Longest teniored employees ( supervisors)moved to other shifts. Management states to add knowledge to weaker performing shifts but also allow bilingual supervisors to be moved. I understand business needs but because I do not fluently speak another language? I communicate very well and am able to perform my jod with no issues as are the other 4
I agree with cbg and Q4P. <<tiny poem

commentator

In the absence of a union contract, promotions and transfers can be done on the whim (at the discretion) of the employer, they do not have to do it fairly or according to seniority. Transferring someone who has the language skills needed, regardless of time on the job or performance, could logically be considered a good move for the business, though it may seem unfair to those who have been there longer and didn't get the desired job or raise or whatever. Reverse discrimination is even more difficult to establish, when it remotely might be, than direct discrimination on the basis of being a protected EEOC category. We all really, have an age, a sex, a nationality or something that might fall into an EEOC category.

eerelations

It is illegal to refuse to promote someone based on a protected characteristic such as race, gender, religion, age and/or disability. Language fluency (including a lack thereof) is not a protected characteristic under the law. Ergo, it is perfectly legal for your employer to refuse to promote you based on your lack of fluency in certain language(s).

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
And it's either discrimination or it's not - "reverse discrimination" is a popular, but utterly meaningless, term.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">