• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary Compression

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LesTrot

I live in the state of Virginia and work in the District of Columbia. My employer has a Procedures manual that includes specific guidelines on salaries. There is a Procedure that calls for the publication of an Annual Salary Plan. A key provision of the Annual Salary Plan applies to supervisors and deals with salary compression. Compression is a term applied to a situation where one or more subordinates have a salary greater than that of the supervisor. The Annual Salary Plan specifies that a calculation must be made that increases the supervisor’s salary to a level greater than that of his subordinates.

In my case this rule for adjusting salaries has not been applied during the last two years. The Compression adjustment has been awarded to other supervisors during this period. I have requested an explanation for not receiving a compression adjustment, but my employer has not provided one.

Do I have any legal remedy available to obtain this Compression adjustment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you work for a private employer, or are you a Federal employee? It may make a difference to the answer.

L

LesTrot

I work for a private Corporation, but the Department of Transportation owns all of the stock in this corporation. To be more specific, we are a national passenger railroad.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The chances are very good that there is nothing you can do. A policy is exactly that - a policy. A policy is simply a guideline. It's not a regulation; it's not a law; it's not a requirement. Unless the policy manual is written in such a way as to constitute a contract (which is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely, you probably have no legal means of forcing them to comply with internal policy. The sole exception would be if you have not received the increase while others have, BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin and so forth, but I imagine you would have mentioned it if there was any chance of that.

Because of the DOT connection, however (the laws for public employees are often different) it might be worth your while to show the manual to a local employment lawyer on the off-chance that there may be something in it that grants you any protection. This is a long shot - it is not likely that an attorney will find anything in your favor. But it's not impossible either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">