• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salary cuts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tifany8

What is the name of your state? Michigan

About 3 months ago, it was announced that all employee's would be given a 20% pay cut due to hard times. "We are all in this together" were the CEO's words. Within two weeks the CEO and one other employee's wages were returned to normal. Within another two weeks, our hourly employee's returned to five days pay. Myself and two other salaried employee's were told that our salaries would remain at 80%. When asked how long this would last, we were given no bench marks or time period. Now, we have hired another new salaried employee and he has been hired at this full salary.

Can an employer cut salary's willy-nilly? Do I have a case for discrimenation? The four salary employees that are at full salary have a maximum seniority of 5 years. The three salaried employees that have been cuts have a minimum of 15 years seniority.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In order for this to be illegal, you would have to show that the reason your salary and those of the other two were not raised back to the old rate BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, age (over 40), disability or pregnancy. If you cannot so show, then it is legal, regardless of whether you think it is fair. The facts as presented in your post do not support a case for illegal discrimination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">