• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

salary reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

p118s

I am a single mom barely struggling to make ends meet. I have been with the same company for almost 8 years, and was extremely happy until just recently.

In addition to my regulary job, I took on another responsibilty from another department (at their request) for an additional $600.00 a month.

At first, things were fine and they tried to help me correct the problems they had. Then it gradually became 100% clear that the manager of that department was too lazy to do his job and make sure things were in order.

It was such a hastle that I began doing his job myself. It was much easier that way.

When I tried to tell the general manager what was happening, the two managers basically ganged up on me and I realized that nothing was going to change, so for the last 6 months, I have just tollerated it and done the best I could.

Then it hit the fan. One manager didn't follow through on his job and this caused thousands of dollars to be tied up for months. The Corporate manager hit the roof and when he asked me if the managers weren't concerned, I answered him honestly. I said they didn't get just real concerned until a few days before we were to meet with him (by which time it's obviously too late to make any changes).

Then about a month ago we were audited and it finally came out that that department wasn't doing anything right at all and they are trying to blame me completely.

This manager is now openly hostile towards me and my manager confronted him about that yesterday, but he very bluntly said he would not talk in front of me and would discuss it at a later time.

My manager admitted to me he could tell this was the result of the audit and that he wasn't managing his department properly.

A few weeks ago, they told me I would no longer be doing this work for their department. They are going to give this work to a woman who is running around bragging that her and her husband have just leased a house for 1200.00 a month.

My boss assures me he won't cut my pay, but I've seen him "restructure" the pay of 2 managers and they ended up making less money.

Yes, I have been actively looking for other employment and will continue to do so.

My question is first, if they take money away from me and my child when I have given my boss a breakdown of my monthly expenses and made him very aware that without this money, I won't be able to survive.

And second, is this man's hostility towards me a form of harrassment that I can do something about?

JETX

By your own admission, the task you did for EXTRA money was in another department, and (I assume) not a part of your normal job description. As such, it was just that 'extra' work and compensation. This is not unlike going out and getting a second job. That second job could end at any time, as your 'extra' job apparently has.

So, to answer your questions:

Q1) "if they take money away from me and my child when I have given my boss a breakdown of my monthly expenses and made him very aware that without this money, I won't be able to survive."
A1) Unless your job is covered by a contract or binding arbitration (union), they are under no obligation to provide you with additional work or pay. What you have gotten until now was 'extra' and they have no obligation to continue it (or your 'other' regular job for that matter).

Q2) "is this man's hostility towards me a form of harrassment that I can do something about?"
A2) No.

P

p118s

Thank you for letting me know.

I had kind of hoped that since they sent me to school several times so that I would be officially certified with a title for this postition that you might have a different answer.

JETX

Nope, doesn't matter if they sent you to school, to church, or to the neighbors. They have NO obligation to provide you with additional income (or any income, for that matter).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">