• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BettyRC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have been continually harassed by a delivery guy where I work. The first time I told my boss and he had him removed from our route. Then a few months later the same delivery guy delivered to our store again. I avoided him while he was in the store, but he went out of his way to bother me. Once actually being in the ladies restroom then banging on the window after he finished his delivery. So I told my boss and he attempted to contact his boss and have removed from the route again. The delivery company did not return my boss' call and the delivery guy showed up again while I was there. I refused to let him in. I got permission from my boss to have him leave the things he was dropping off outside and wait while we brought the things he was picking up outside. Then we brought the things inside that he dropped off after he left. My boss contacted his own boss and had him handle the situation. I was told this man would never come to our store again. Then I found out he delivered again one night when I was off. My boss' boss contacted their company again to make sure he wouldn't be back. My boss tells me that he will not be back, but obviously the message that we do not want him at our store is not getting into the delivery company's head. Since they keep sending him. I am always worried that he is going to show up. When the truck pulls up I watch to see who gets out before I unlock the door and have been told I am as white as a ghost while waiting to see who is delivering. I feel my boss and my boss's boss are doing everything they can. It's the boss at the delivery company that is not taking care of things properly. Is there anything I can do myself? What are my rights? I am afraid of this man and he makes my other female coworker nervous.

Thank you very much

BettyRC

Call the police...
Well I work at a donut shop and the police are there all the time. I have asked their advice and they told me to call them if he shows up again and I will. I just want to make sure he won't be back and I don't trust the delivery company to not send him again.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well I work at a donut shop and the police are there all the time. I have asked their advice and they told me to call them if he shows up again and I will. I just want to make sure he won't be back and I don't trust the delivery company to not send him again.
Frankly, you won't be able to do that.

tranquility

Why are you afraid of him? What do you mean by "harassment"? In theory, if severe enough, you could get a court order against him.

BettyRC

Why are you afraid of him? What do you mean by "harassment"? In theory, if severe enough, you could get a court order against him.
I typed the whole thing out and I guess my login timed out while I was typing. I will explain it again if it doesn't post in a few minutes.

swalsh411

I'm not seeing anything illegal in this "harrassment". He sounds like a jerk who knows he can get on your nerves and enjoys doing it.

OHRoadwarrior

The bottom line here is your boss can inform his employer and him he is permanently banned from company property. He can be arrested if he returns. is company can elect not to do business with your boss or send another driver.

BettyRC

I typed the whole thing out and I guess my login timed out while I was typing. I will explain it again if it doesn't post in a few minutes.

When he first started delivering I had a collection of CD’s that I listened to at work. He commented on the music playing and noticed my CD’s and started looking through them. I told him they were my husband’s and he doesn’t like people messing with them. After that we exchanged pleasantries when he delivered. Things like “How’s it going?” and “Can you believe this weather?” One time that he delivered he gave out order to another store and their order to us. I had to call my boss and he had to call his boss and he ended up having to switch the orders around and it was a big ordeal. The next time he delivered I jokingly said “Are you sure these are for our store?” He looked shocked so I explained that I was joking because of what happened last time. He said “Oh, you scared me. Ha. Thanks for the stimulation.” Then he went to get another cart and when he came back in he said “Oh that was a good one. I think I’m falling in love with you.” I was very creeped out by that.

So I avoided him after that. I would pretend to have to do something in another part of the store. He would seek me out to try to talk to me no matter where I was in the store. So I started staying outside while he was there. Then I told one of his coworkers that he was creeping me out. His coworker told me that he was kicked off of other routes for trying to hug females that he delivered to and unwanted flirting and sexual advances. Then my male coworkers told me that he asks them about me. He asks them if I’m ok and if I still work there. So the next time he delivered I told him that I do not want to talk to him, I don’t want him asking my coworkers about me and that I want him to leave me alone and not talk to me. He asked why and I told him that he was creepy, the comments he made when I was joking with him were weird and I know he has been kicked off other routes for sexual harassment. He said that the other guy shouldn’t have told me that and that he was joking too. I told him that it’s not ok to joke with people you barely know that way. He said he only talks to me and asks about me because he worries about me. I told him he has no reason to worry about me he doesn’t even know me. I also told him that he doesn’t worry about the guys that I work with or bother them, so he’s just bothering me because I am female. I told him to leave me alone and never talk to me again.

For a few weeks he didn’t talk to me. He just made his delivery and left. It was great. Then he came up to me really close and asked if he still had to not talk to me. I backed up told him yes and walked away. Then I worked harder to avoid him. Then he told my male coworker that I was mentally unstable and needed to start taking drugs. I told my boss all of this after that and he had him kicked off of our route.

Then a few months later he started delivering to our store again. I avoided him and found out that he told my coworker that his boss told him that if he even speaks to me he will be fired. So I figured he would leave me alone, but I still avoided him. Then he started doing things to annoy me. He locked the wheels on the carts he delivers so I couldn’t move them. I asked one of my coworkers to ask him to stop doing that. Then he parked all the carts in the path for me to get to my work station. The last time he delivered was when I was working with my female coworker. I was sweeping the lobby when his truck pulled up. So I leaned my broom against a counter and unlocked the door. Then I went to a part of the store where he wouldn’t need to be. My coworker was in the back of the store. I didn’t hear the carts being pulled through the store and asked my coworker if he had come back there yet. She said he hadn’t seen him yet. The front doors were propped open like he does when he delivers. So I knew he was in the store. He was in the store for over 15 minutes and we didn’t know what he was doing. Then he finally came to the back and got a cart. Once he finished his delivery I locked the doors and went back to get my broom. My broom was gone. I looked all over the store I couldn’t find it. I finally looked in the ladies bathroom and it was there propped between the toilet and trash can. I called my coworker over to look and while we were standing in the bathroom doorway he came up to the window across from us and banged on the window with both fists raised over his head and had an angry look on his face. My coworker asked me if she should let him in. I said “No, the store is closed, he’s finished his delivery and he’s creepy. He has no reason to come in.” If he needed something he could have knocked on the door or went into the store that is attached to us and talked to us over the rope divider. He banged on the window for 10 minutes. It was very scary. So I left my boss a note and he called the delivery guys boss and left him a message. The delivery guy’s boss didn’t call my boss back. So he delivered again the next week. I refused to let him in the store. I called my boss and got permission to have him leave the new carts outside and we would take the old ones out once my husband got there. My boss told me he was going to call the delivery guys boss right that second and my coworker and I went to the door together to tell him that he couldn’t come in and how we were going to switch the carts. Then I locked the door. While we were waiting for my husband to get there he paced in front of the windows and stared at us. Then we made the switch.

I was assured that he wouldn’t be back. My boss’ boss contacted the delivery company and they told him he wouldn’t be back. Then he showed up again last week on my day off. My boss’ boss had to call them again to make sure he wouldn’t be back. So now I’m worried that he could deliver again at any time since they keep telling me he won’t be back and he keeps coming back.

That's the whole story. I might have forgot a few creepy things he did, but this is the big stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">