• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmwhite

What is the name of your state? Texas
I was planning to retire June 1st. One reason I had planned to retire was a Voluntary Severance Package the Co. has been offering for several years. With this package added to my retirement and savings I can retire at age 55. The Co. has been giving these package and continues to give the package in most regions of the Co. The regional Vice President over my area has about decided that anyone in his Region will not recieve the package any more. My question is, Is this discrimmination? Can others within the CO. still receive the severance package and I be denied, just because of what Region I live in?

S

Sinsaint26

As long as they are not denying the severance based on your age, race, gender, national origin or disability it is completely legal. Area of residence or work location is not a protected class.

Beth3

Sure. Such incentives are usually offered strategically by the employer, if they're offered at all. Presumably staffing levels in your region are what they need to be to support the level of business activity in that area. That being the case, why would they want to incent anyone to leave?

It is perfectly legal to offer an exit incentive to employees in certain geographical regions, or in certain positions, or with certain levels of service, etc, and not to others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">