• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sex discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MRRRJH

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

In the store I work in all the department managers/buyers are store managers...so we all have the same job title. I would assume that everyone that has the same title, would have the same responsibilities. There is one manager who get paid way more than I do, and a couple years ago I asked my boss why and he said that he'd been there longer than me (3 years)..which is a valid point except.

1. I do way more than he does.
2. I've done way more than him for at least 6-7 years
3. I've been a key holder way before we were all made store managers, so I've closed the store for way longer than him.
4. Anytime my boss has a problem with anything in the store, I'm the one who gets yelled at. (he tells me he considers me his "store manager")
5. My actual department is bigger and my budget is bigger.

Thank you for your time!

LeeHarveyBlotto

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

In the store I work in all the department managers/buyers are store managers...so we all have the same job title. I would assume that everyone that has the same title, would have the same responsibilities. There is one manager who get paid way more than I do, and a couple years ago I asked my boss why and he said that he'd been there longer than me (3 years)..which is a valid point except.

1. I do way more than he does.
2. I've done way more than him for at least 6-7 years
3. I've been a key holder way before we were all made store managers, so I've closed the store for way longer than him.
4. Anytime my boss has a problem with anything in the store, I'm the one who gets yelled at. (he tells me he considers me his "store manager")
5. My actual department is bigger and my budget is bigger.

Thank you for your time!
You don't get to assume the issue is sex, at some point you would have to provide proof. It could be as simple as the boss likes your co-worker better. Perfectly legal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even assuming all 5 of your points to be true, the fact that he has been there longer is STILL a valid and legal reason for him to be paid more.

And how is it that you know what others are making anyway?

MRRRJH

Even assuming all 5 of your points to be true, the fact that he has been there longer is STILL a valid and legal reason for him to be paid more.

And how is it that you know what others are making anyway?
Thank you for your response. It's a small business, and I know way more than I'd care to know about some of the things my boss does. That's what happens when you work in a small place for 14 years. I don't know how much this person makes, but I do know that's it's more than I make. It's just aggravating that you're the one bending over backwards and people who don't work nearly as hard make more money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for your response. It's a small business, and I know way more than I'd care to know about some of the things my boss does. That's what happens when you work in a small place for 14 years. I don't know how much this person makes, but I do know that's it's more than I make. It's just aggravating that you're the one bending over backwards and people who don't work nearly as hard make more money.
It's a free country. You are free to find that a job that pays you what you feel you are worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">