• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

farnsworth852

What is the name of your state? Florida
My daughter works for a major department store and has endured off colored comments and innuendos from the store manager for several months. This includes regular calls for her to his office where she is instructed that she can call him "Gary", not "Mr. XXX"---but only in his office; whispering sexual comments in her ear, etc. He has even telephoned her at home. Finally she confronted him about the state of his marriage and he turned the tables on her declaring he was sorry she had misunderstood his playfulness. He was clearly worried about a sexual harassment claim and all related behaviors have since stopped.

My daughter has since learned that there are other employees that have been subjected to the same behavior. Recently 2 have been fired and are claiming it is because of sexual harassment. A woman who has so far refused to identify herself has made several attempts to contact my daughter in relation to these claims.

My questions are: how involved in this is she required to be, if at all? Does she need an attorney? and, What are the consequences of her involvement?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing in the law that requires her to be involved, but if the company is doing an investigation she would be better off answering all questions honestly, including the fact that when she complained to Gary directly, his unwelcome behavior stopped. Failure to cooperate *could* be seen as insubordination.

With the facts currently available I see no reason why she would need an attorney, but if it would make her feel better, by all means have her consult one.

dncr

I'm not a lawyer, but...

If you got fired from your job because you complained about being sexually harassed, wouldn't you want other victims to come forward to help your case? Even if your daughter isn't legally required to get involved, wouldn't it be the right thing to do? She works in a department store...what's the risk? She could get fired, which would add to the case, but she can find a similarly-paying job again. This crap will never stop if nothing's done about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">