• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jaynie

What is the name of your state? California
I have worked in the food service industry for many years. Recently the bar and grill where I was employed was sold. The new owners ( husband and wife and her parents) seemed very nice at first. After just a few short weeks of them owning it the husband began making sexual comments and asking for sexual favors. This went on for a few months with me turning him down and avoiding being alone with him. When I tried to explain to his wife that I was uncomfortable with the way he showed his appreciation for a job well done i.e. hugging and kisses on the cheek (with my manager present) she became insanely angry with me. I never told her of the sexual comments or favors he asked me for. When the husband saw that he was getting nowhere with me he began making my work life a living hell. I would be yelled at and generally treated badly to the point where other employees and customers were questioning him and his treatment of me. 2 days ago my paycheck bouncedand I went to my manager ( who knows of the sexual harassment) and was given cash to cover the bounced check and all bank fees that I was charged. The next day I was met at my front door by my manager and told I was layed off due to " cost cutting measures" as she was told. There were however employees hired after me that were kept on at the same pay rate I was making. After discussing the harassment more with myt manager at that time I found out that a few other employees and many customers had experienced the same thing as I had with the exception of the retaliation for me turning him down. My questions are ....

1. Can I sue and if so on wheat grounds?
2. Would it look better if there was a suit filed for it to be started by another employee or customer since me being " layed off " might be looked upon as sour grapes?
Thanks for the help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I answered this post on the other board where you posted it. However, for the benefit of those reading here only I will answer again:

1.) Yes, it sounds as if you have valid reason to file a sexual harassment suit with the EEOC and/or with your state discrimination board.

2.) NO. No one else can file a suit on your behalf. These things happened to YOU. YOU have to file the complaint. No one else is going to be allowed to file for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">