• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hidi

What is the name of your state? michigan i recently went to the manager of the store that i work for and told her that i was being sexually harassed by the co-manager. she asked me to write down all details of the incidents and she turned them into our zone manager. my name was supposed to be kept out of the reports, but now the co-manager knows who turned him in. i'm really afraid that he is going to make things hard for me when he comes back to work. i want to know if the company had a legal obligation to keep my name a secret since they did not fire him. what should i do?

HomeGuru

hidi said:
What is the name of your state? michigan i recently went to the manager of the store that i work for and told her that i was being sexually harassed by the co-manager. she asked me to write down all details of the incidents and she turned them into our zone manager. my name was supposed to be kept out of the reports, but now the co-manager knows who turned him in. i'm really afraid that he is going to make things hard for me when he comes back to work. i want to know if the company had a legal obligation to keep my name a secret since they did not fire him. what should i do?
**A: no they don't.

H

hidi

so what do i do now. wait for him to run me over in the parking lot some night when he's drunk and pist off because he's on the verge of loosing his job. i don't understand how they can give him my name after they were asked to keep my name out of it.

S

Sinsaint26

They may not have told him your name. If it is a relatively small employer and you are the only one he harassed (or he remembers specific situations that you wrote about) then he may have reasonably deduced that it was you that complained. In any event, if you have reason to fear that he may become violent you should report this to your manager. They may be able to keep the two of you from working together or suspend him until an investigation is complete.

A

allen03

I don't see how an accusuer's name can be kept out of a complaint. What is the employers supposed to say "someone has reported that you(whatever)"? They need names to investigate any incident.

Last edited:

Beth3

allen, employers actually do try to keep from revealing an accuser's name to the accused to try to minimize the possibility of retalliation. But it can be exceedingly difficult to do in some circumstances and the accused can often figure out who complained for the reasons Sinsaint mentioned.

H

hidi

i work for a large grocery store chain and just about every aspect of what i do involves our management. how the store manager is going to rearrange everyones schedule to keep the co-manager away from me seems unreal. right now i feel like i have done something wrong because i reported what the co-manager was saying. the store manager specifically asked the zone manager to keep my name a secret because this isn't the first time that the co-manager has been involved in these allegations.
i am even tempted to find a new job just so that i don't have to be afraid of him.

S

Sinsaint26

More than likely they did keep your name out of it but he probably figured out who complained. Usually when someone does this sort of thing, they will single out one person in particular. He is going to know who complained because he knows who he is harassing. Your employer has a duty to keep you from being harassed and to try to keep you safe. That could range anywhere from reprimanding him up to termination. It is their call. If the harassment continues even after your complaint has been made and you feel that the company is doing nothing to resolve the matter you should file a complaint with the EEOC. I don't know how long it has been since you made your complaint but you need to give your employer a little time to resolve the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">