• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garbageboy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?New York

My coworker called me last night drunk and needing a ride home because no cab would drive her from Manhattan to Queens. Seeing as how i live in Manhattan I picked her up to ensure her safely. On the drive to her house she blabbed about how she and another coworker had a $20 bet on if i was homosexual. I was fuming that she would do something like that but i didnt say anything. The next morning i texted her and told her that i had no interest in ever hearing how she wagers on her coworkers sexual preferences and that it was completely inappropriate. She responded and apologized. Seeing as how this wasn't my boss or the owner of the company, do i have any legal justification to sue? Also this happened after work hours, outside of the office.

Proserpina

My coworker called me last night drunk and needing a ride home because no cab would drive her from Manhattan to Queens. Seeing as how i live in Manhattan I picked her up to ensure her safely. On the drive to her house she blabbed about how she and another coworker had a $20 bet on if i was homosexual. I was fuming that she would do something like that but i didnt say anything. The next morning i texted her and told her that i had no interest in ever hearing how she wagers on her coworkers sexual preferences and that it was completely inappropriate. She responded and apologized. Seeing as how this wasn't my boss or the owner of the company, do i have any legal justification to sue? Also this happened after work hours, outside of the office.

Sue for what exactly?

No, you have no case here.

sandyclaus

Sue for WHAT? Having a drunken discussion about whether or not you were homosexual?

It was off-hours, she was having a personal discussion, and she was clearly inebriated. Perhaps you were more upset by the fact that someone may have thought you were homosexual than anything, but that in itself is NOT actionable. God forbid, if everyone were to sue because of something that someone else thought about them, the courts would be more overfilled than they already are. And more people would be able to win a lot more judgments based on frivolous lawsuits such as the one you're thinking about.

Proserpina

Sue for WHAT? Having a drunken discussion about whether or not you were homosexual?

It was off-hours, she was having a personal discussion, and she was clearly inebriated. Perhaps you were more upset by the fact that someone may have thought you were homosexual than anything, but that in itself is NOT actionable. God forbid, if everyone were to sue because of something that someone else thought about them, the courts would be more overfilled than they already are. And more people would be able to win a lot more judgments based on frivolous lawsuits such as the one you're thinking about.

All I want for Christmas is my "like" button back!

Le sigh.

W

Willlyjo

I think your drunk female friend was interested in you proving to her that you were not a homosexual. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">