• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Harassment and Discrimination at two different companies by the same General M

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelmedicla

What is the name of your state? I am in California.

Hello My name is Angel,
I work in the medical field. a single parent.
To be brief,
I started at a company in the medical industry,(of about 20 employee's) , which is predominantly male.
I worked there for two months and then the sexual comments began by one general manager. Then comments lead to touching.
I complained to the owner. No disciplinary actions were taken to this General Manager. I was forced to deal with it, cause I needed the money.
I stuck it out for four more months. By this time he had his cousin working within the company, who had become my supervisor.
I had found a brand new job for a company just starting out.
I was offered more money per hour and I would help start this company from the ground up.Sounds great huh?
I was asked by the Regional Supervisor to have an official interview, but I was already hired. This was just a formality at the the other location. Where I was introduced to my new (General Manager). It was the general manager that had sexually harassed at the company I had just left.
I was pulled off to the side by the Regional Manager and then told"Angel, I know the past that you and the General Manager have had! But please realize you are in a male dominated field.
( Like this behavior is condoned?)
"The general manager and I have been friends for many years."
Our meeting concluded and I went back to work. All the while knowing I couldnt go back to my old position because of the fact that the GM,s cousin was still employed there.
The following day I worked my shift as usual. I noticed a discrepancy on my time card. The owner ( a female) had taken my time card scratched out legitimate hours and initialled it with out my consent. When I inquired to her,as to why this was done without my knowledge.and the fact that I had kept a personal record of my hours. My wage's still did not reflect the amount agreed upon, prior to my hire.
I was consequently fired by the General Manager for this reason alone.
I still sit after three weeks of being wrongfully terminated, sexually harassed,verbally harassed and definately had to endure a hostile work place for almost a year.
No employment opportunities. No UI benefits, as of yet. and a very low self esteem.

If anyone has any input.or suggestions please let me know.
Sincerly Angel

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Pick up the phone. Call the EEOC and/or your state discrimination board. It does not make any difference whatsoever if you are in a male dominated field - sexual harassment is illegal, period. Do not waste time as there are time limits to file a claim and the longer you wait, the more likely it is that the time discrepancy will work against you.

If the issue with your wages resulted in your not being paid for every hour you actually worked you need to contact your state DOL for that.

A

angelmedicla

Thanks

Thanks cbg,
I havent heard anything from anyone yet.
Does anyone really read this stuff?
I have contacted EEOC and DOL no word yet.
California is slow in dealing with anything, Guess I will probably starve to death first before anything is done.
Angel

Beth3

angel, these government agencies are dealing with many thousands of claims, some with merit, some with none but they have to investigate them all and make a determination. I'm afraid you have no option but to be patient and wait until they respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">