• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual harassment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phillylit

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

i just filed a grievance at my job today, my plant manager has been harassing me for over a year (sexual comments about my breasts, asking questiions about my sex life.. etc..) and there is another lady who did the same. They suspended the manager for 2 days. I had complained to the manager before about another guy who was doing the same thing and he just laughed in my face and did nothing. Is there anyway i may have a case if i contact the eocc? i hate to sit around to see what happens, because they have blown me off before.

S

Sinsaint26

If your employer has no manditory abitration agreement you can file a complaint with the EEOC. The EEOC has a pretty strict rule about filing complaints within 180 days of the discriminatory act so you should file as soon as possible. The only problem you may have is the fact that after you filed the complaint the company did take prompt action by giving him two days off.

P

phillylit

ok the thing is that i was being harassed by another guy and complained to the plant manager about it. he laughed in my face and did nothing. i also told my supervisor and he didn't do anything either. about a week after that my plant manager started making the same comments to me (sexually). can i go back and get them for not listening to me the first time with the other guy? this took place dec. of 2002.

S

Sinsaint26

If you feel that the company did nothing to stop the harassment you can file a complaint. Just be prepared for the company to say they did all they could with regards to the situation.

P

phillylit

ok, one more question. since i'm not very educated in this particular field, can my empployer fire me for filing a complaint to the eeoc? my case is almost like 2 seperate cases. first with the one guy, then with my plant manager. in my complaint today i did bring up both people. so should i let them handle disciplining the plant manager for not filing for me the first time, or should i just take it to the eeoc? sorry i know this sounds confusing....

S

Sinsaint26

First off, they cannot fire you for making a complaint to the EEOC. that is called retaliation and it is illegal. Secondly, if you feel the company is now going to take your claims seriously and take action against the two other employees in question, you should reconsider filing a complaint with the EEOC. You should only file a complaint if your accusations are ignored. If your employer is trying to get to the bottom of things, why don't you just let things run their course? If the company issues disciplinary action to these two individuals but the behavior still continues then you should file with the EEOC.

The bottom line is your decision to make. If you feel the company has left things go too long already, then file now. If you think action will now be taken on your behalf, then there is really no point in going to the EEOC.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It will strengthen any case you eventually bring if you give the company a chance to do something. You only brought the grievance today. Let them have some time to handle it. If they are able to stop it, you will not need to go to the EEOC, and if they don't, you will be able to honestly say that gave the company every opportunity to correct the problem before going to outside authorities. This can only help you.

P

phillylit

Thank you for your help. I think I will see what happens this week and see how informed they keep me about the situation. Hopefully there will be an understanding. I'm very greatful that you guys have a forum like this where I don't have to be afraid to ask an outsider for help. It is greatly appreciated.

S

swicket

Warning to Phillylit. You stated that you have filed a grievance at you place of employment against your "plant manager." If your place of employment has a negotiated bargaining agreement with a Union, you cannot dual file with the EEOC!!! Your recourse is one or the other, NOT both! Also, you mention a subsequent complaint against a "co-worker." If this co-worker is a similar situated employee (same status as you), you cannot file against him. However, your issue would be with the employer for not enforcing state/federal statutes and subjecting you to a hostile work environment.

P

phillylit

We don't have a union at my place of employment. I heard today that the plant manager at my job ( yes, he's still on suspension) has been trying to contact some of the employees that have been questioned in this complaint. Is that even legal? Isn't that almost like tampering with a witness? I was told that he couldn't have any contact with anyone from our place of employment until this situation is resolved. I did go forward with that info to the HR reps and they took note.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">