• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sexual Harrassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lakewoodgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

I work for a major company that has over 200,000 employees. My location has a new manager that has been at my location for 3 months. Within the first week he was commenting to my coworkers (5-6 women) on how attractive and sexy certain customers were.
Then the leering began with several female employees, myself included. He will stare at our breasts and crotches when no one else is around therefore we have no witnesses. We have complained to HR about him doing this and also how he talks down to women like they are dogs (no matter their rank) but treats men like they are his best buddies. Soon after we went to HR he took away a lot of our "tools" that are needed to accomplish our job efficiently/effectively and has told some of us that we might be getting undesirable later hours.
I have now went to HR twice and was basically told since there are no witnesses to the leering, that it's all he said/she said.... even though others have complained about the leering and there were 5-6 witnesses of him making suggestive comments about our female customers.
The stress is getting too much at this point and I have been looking for another job. If it happens for a 3rd time, I will be going to the EEOC to file a formal complaint. I was told upfront by HR the first time I complained, that corporate doesn't like to fire managers.
I was just wondering if leering (no touching) is enough for this to be considered sexual harassment or if I should just cut my losses and find another job. I really like my job and don't want to be forced to look for other work because my manager makes me feel uncomfortable in his presence.

eerelations

I think this constitutes sexual harassment. When you go to the EEOC, tell them all about this, about the other women experiencing this, and the retaliation you and others have experienced. If you experience any more retaliation, tell the EEOC about that too.

Keep in mind that employers are not legally obliged to fire harassers. However, they are obliged to stop the harassing behaviour, and it sounds like your employer hasn't even done that.

commentator

Be certain that you are documenting every single incident you possibly can of this manager's behavior. Keep up very carefully with the dates you spoke with the HR department and exactly as possible what was said by you and what was said by them.

Document how the manager took away the tools you need to do your jobs, how he said something about how you might be getting lower evaluations after you spoke to HR...documentation is your complete friend here. Make sure that when you present your complaint to EEOC, you are not just giving them generalizations and gossipy stuff. Leering can definitely be considered harrassment, but usually it is incorporated into a pattern of comments, too. Make sure the comments are noted. Along with dates when said.

But then also expect some of your co workers will refuse to testify, will back out on you. that's standard behavior when there is a sexual harrassment situation of this type. There's always lots of hard feelings, embarrassment, insults: "What makes you think you're hot enough that I'd want to look at your _______?" and that sort of thing while the dirty laundry is washed. But if you've given the company an adequate chance to investigate and improve working conditions and they've refused, then you are ready to do an EEOC complaint.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to reiterate what has already been said: The employer's obligation is to make the illegal behavior stop. That is all. There is NO obligation that they fire the harasser or even to remove him from working with you.

csi7

As everyone has stated, there are a lot of things that will possibly happen.

You are NOT guaranteed that the behavior will stop permanently once it is reported and handled by the company.

Keep diligent records in a safe place, and keep a timeline order of the incidents, dates, times, locations, and valid proof of those times where possible.

If there are any isolated spots within the work place, take pictures of those places, and also of areas where the incidents take place to help you remember details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">