• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual harrassment in florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kelldiana7

What is the name of your state? florida

i am an home health nurse for a company in miami. the owner of the company has been making sexual inuendos since i first started working there. two weeks ago he got me in the staircase and put his hands on my breasts and down my pants. i feaked and told him that i heard someone outside and walked away. i went back to the office 2 days later because one of the other nurses was there at that time. i have not been back since then. i can't walk into the office. everyone in the office knows what he is like/ what can i do? can i sue him for sexual harrassment.? i am sure if anyone is subpeonaed they will corraberate what i say.
diane

S

Sinsaint26

Before you even consider a lawsuit you need to tell a supervisor or someone in HR so that they can put a stop to his behavior or terminate him. If they don't investigate your complaints then you can consider filing a complaint with the EEOC.

Beth3

Yes, you can sue but you're getting ahead of yourself. First you must file a complaint of sexual harassment with the appropriate government agency - your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC (your choice.) As you were physically assaulted, you may also contact the police and file a criminal complaint.

This is not required but I'd suggest you consult with an employment law attorney before proceeding.

Beth3

Normally, that is the correct procedure, Sinsaint, but according to kell, the owner of the company is the one who assaulted her. Particularly in smaller organizations, she has almost no recourse for making an internal complaint before proceeding to an attorney and/or gov't agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">