• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Showing favoritism based on protected class

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

srt8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I know it looks pretty straight forward, but let me get some opinions on what the following federal law means. It came straight from the EEOC website. I'm I wrong to assume that all the listed classes are protected equally ?

Job Assignments & Promotions
It is illegal for an employer to make decisions about job assignments and promotions based on an employee's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. For example, an employer may not give preference to employees of a certain race when making shift assignments and may not segregate employees of a particular national origin from other employees or from customers.
An employer may not base assignment and promotion decisions on stereotypes and assumptions about a person's race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.
If an employer requires employees to take a test before making decisions about assignments or promotions, the test may not exclude people of a particular race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), or national origin, or individuals with disabilities, unless the employer can show that the test is necessary and related to the job. In addition, the employer may not use a test that excludes employees age 40 or older if the test is not based on a reasonable factor other than age.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi

I know it looks pretty straight forward, but let me get some opinions on what the following federal law means. It came straight from the EEOC website. I'm I wrong to assume that all the listed classes are protected equally ?
What is your interest in the equal protection between each of the listed classes?

Is this related to a specific situation you're experiencing right now?

Or is this a study/homework question? Because we don't do homework here.

srt8

What is your interest in the equal protection between each of the listed classes?

Is this related to a specific situation you're experiencing right now?

Or is this a study/homework question? Because we don't do homework here.
Specific employment situation.

srt8

Speak up, then, about your specific problem.
Was just wondering if all of the protected classes are protected equally ? Say if only one of the classes was forced to do certain undesirable job assignments 100% of the time. This is a very large company and the company policy is that all hourly workers are associates, have no certain title, and that everyone is responsible for doing everything and cross trained. Everyone is paid on the same pay scale. Basically the majority of the hard or undesirable work is assigned to a listed class and the basically do nothing simple jobs are assigned to another listed class.

sandyclaus

Was just wondering if all of the protected classes are protected equally ? Say if only one of the classes was forced to do certain undesirable job assignments 100% of the time. This is a very large company and the company policy is that all hourly workers are associates, have no certain title, and that everyone is responsible for doing everything and cross trained. Everyone is paid on the same pay scale. Basically the majority of the hard or undesirable work is assigned to a listed class and the basically do nothing simple jobs are assigned to another listed class.
And how, exactly, do you feel that the employer is discriminating by assigning a particular type of job to what particular protected class?

Are you saying, for example, that only the female employees are given the undesirable job assignments, and the men are the ones who are the management workers?

Please be specific.

Silverplum

And how, exactly, do you feel that the employer is discriminating by assigning a particular type of job to what particular protected class?

Are you saying, for example, that only the female employees are given the undesirable job assignments, and the men are the ones who are the management workers?

Please be specific.
So specific that you never once use the word "basically."

OHRoadwarrior

I have assigned employees of the same title to complete specific tasks based on their abilities or lack there of. I do not rank "fair" higher than "productive". The fact that the least valuable employee may be in one of the classes you outlines is irrelevant to me. I don't care if they are purple and martian. If they are the most productive in a group of employees, I give them the assignments that they flourish in and tend to be a happier employee.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends on what you mean by "protected equally".

Rather than fishing for an answer in a vacuum, please tell us exactly what is happening.

srt8

Please be specific.
If 20 people are hired for the same job. And the required qualifications are the same for everyone hired. And the company policy is that everyone is equal, cross trained, and on the same pay scale. Every day the same people of a protected class are made to do the harder and undesirable work, while the same people of another protected class are allowed to do very easy work. Examples: if management said that only black people had to lift heavy freight while white workers did light paperwork. Or that only the women had to clean the toilets everyday while the men counted merchandise. Or that only the men had to do all the manual labor while all the women stayed in the air conditioned office with the male manager. These are just examples, but what the law I listed said is that you can't base job assignments on the listed protected classes or stereotypes or assumptions on a protected class. I seems like I'm reading it different than you guys. Please, elaborate.

srt8

It depends on what you mean by "protected equally".

Rather than fishing for an answer in a vacuum, please tell us exactly what is happening.
Are all the groups equally protected ? It's pretty self explanatory. Jobs are being assigned exclusively to members of certain groups listed in the EEOC statute listed above.

sandyclaus

If 20 people are hired for the same job. And the required qualifications are the same for everyone hired. And the company policy is that everyone is equal, cross trained, and on the same pay scale. Every day the same people of a protected class are made to do the harder and undesirable work, while the same people of another protected class are allowed to do very easy work. Examples: if management said that only black people had to lift heavy freight while white workers did light paperwork. Or that only the women had to clean the toilets everyday while the men counted merchandise. Or that only the men had to do all the manual labor while all the women stayed in the air conditioned office with the male manager. These are just examples, but what the law I listed said is that you can't base job assignments on the listed protected classes or stereotypes or assumptions on a protected class. I seems like I'm reading it different than you guys. Please, elaborate.
If specific people of a particular class are always assigned the same kind of job assignment or task simply because they are a member of that protected class, then that would be pretty much the definition of illegal discrimination (I think).

So, how about you stop beating around the bush and get to the specifics?

Who are you in your scenario, what protected class do you belong to, and what are you being made to do that others in another protected class are not required to do?

LdiJ

Ok...either you tell us exactly what is going on, and we will try to give you a decent answer based on that, or you continue to be vague about it, and we assume that its homework (and based on the please elaborate it sure sounds like homework) or we assume that you are never going to give us the necessary detail to actually help you.

In the former case, we don't do homework. In the latter case, all we can do is suggest that you consult a local attorney to whom we assume you will disclose the necessary details.

srt8

I'm not really sure how much more specific I can get. The only thing I haven't disclosed is the groups involved. Hence the question, are all groups listed in them statute protected equally. One group is expected to work substantially harder and is always assigned the undesirable hard work. Whether, it's based on race, religion, sex, or religion shouldn't matter. From what I'm reading, the law doesn't make a distinction. That's why I'm asking. If you guys think there is a difference betweeen the classes, please explain how they are different. This is not homework, this is my life......

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">