• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

single parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caribbsol

What is the name of your state? MA

I have a new boss and he is making demands that I can not meet for the fact that I am a single parent of an 11 yr old. I work as a store detective and my boss is telling me I need to work a 8pm-4am shift once a month. I have no family around to watch my son to do this. Is this discrimination?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have a new boss and he is making demands that I can not meet for the fact that I am a single parent of an 11 yr old. I work as a store detective and my boss is telling me I need to work a 8pm-4am shift once a month. I have no family around to watch my son to do this. Is this discrimination?
Yes it is.
But it is perfectly legal.

Just Blue

There are agencies that you could hire to watch your child...Or perhaps another person has to do the same shift and you could change off...You watch his/her child on their night and they in turn could watch yours??

ecmst12

It's not even discrimination, if ALL the employees have to work this shift once a month. It would be discrimination to allow OP to get out of the shift that everyone else has to work due to her family (though that would be legal too).

aanubis

I am not an attorney. It is my understanding that your employer can and will direct your work, not you. You say demands, with an S, and yet all the boss said was one time a month to work a different shift? I think your boss could put you on an entirely different shift. I also think this could be done to coerce you into quitting. I've seen it done in a subtle manner.

I have to tell you. I am really tired of people whining about being a single parent. It affects me since I have no children at home at this time. It is not my fault you are or chose to be a single parent. It is not my duty to make exceptions for you. It is not my resposibility to have to make sacrifices for you. It is not your employer's concern that you are a single parent. Single parents need to do whatever they need to do and stop with the whining.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Being a single parent does not confer any additional rights on you. If everyone is required to work that shift once a month, then so are you. He has no legal obligation to exempt you from the rules because of your single parent status. Your marital and parental status are not your boss's concern.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">