• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Skirting discriminatory interview questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

belldandy112

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Is there a tactful way to respond to discriminatory questions during the interview process? I have been asked: How old are you? (BIG ONE) Are you a Christian? (Yes, really -- at a legal firm.)

... and countless personal questions about my home life and family situation.

I realize that a lot of the questions that I am being asked are illegal ... but at the same time, almost every potential employer I am bumping up against asks them. Can someone please advise me as to an appropriate response that shows that I want the job, but that I am exercising discretion in responding to the question?

pattytx

Actually, very FEW questions are illegal. The illegal part is using the answers to make a hiring decision. If they aren't asked, they can't be used. If they ARE asked, the implication is that they will be, even if they aren't in fact; otherwise, why ask?

Religion. I'm sorry, I prefer not to discuss my religious preferences in the workplace.

Age. Is there an age requirement for this position?

Family Life. I'm sorry, I prefer not to discuss my personal situation in the workplace.

I'd be interested in hearing other suggestions.

belldandy112

Ah -- thanks for correcting me! I meant to use the term "discriminatory;" not "illegal." Having worked at various places where discriminatory practices were very much in place with respect to these issues (of course, applicants never found out why they were not hired), I need a little guidance on how to avoid digging my own grave.

They will push for an answer, too. That's my greatest concern.

Beth3

Patty is right (of course.) Those aren't illegal questions. They're just really stupid questions. Some employers don't know any better, some do and don't care but I'm very surprised that you're being asked those foolish questions all the time.

One way to deal with them is to change the subject.

"What religion are you?" "It's kind of you to to ask but I'd don't discuss my religious beliefs in the workplace. What I'd like to discuss is how my experience at ABC Company is relevant for your position. I'm so interested because..." and then talk about your job experience.

"How old are you?" "Old enough to have just the right amount of experience for the position. Perhaps you can tell me why the position is available? Was the last incumbent promoted? Did he or she resign?"

You get the idea. Every time an inappropriate question is asked, give a non-commital response and then immediately steer the discussion back to something relevant - either by asking a question of your own about the job or the company, or talking about how your experience or education are a fit for the job under consideration.

"Do you have any children? How many?" "It's funny you should ask because at my last job, my boss had many family demands on his (or her) time so I regularly took on extra projects to keep things running smoothly. Let me tell you about the project I did that resulted in reducing our operating costs..."

If you do this right, the interviewers won't even realize you didn't respond to their inappropriate questions.

Beanie711

I like patty's suggestions. I've never heard of them asking for a specific age. Normally it's "are you 18 years of age or older?" Employers generally try to make employees leave religion and family affairs out of the workplace, so again, I don't understand why they would want you to discuss them.

I can't offer any more than what has already been said, but good luck!

ETA: Beth must have been typing at the same time. I like her method of rerouting the topics also.

belldandy112

Beth -- Thank you for giving me such wonderful responses. I'll take careful note for my upcoming interviews. This is going to be helpful in avoiding getting eliminated based on discriminatory hiring practices, I feel.

Beanie -- A few years back, I felt the same way. And I never had to answer such personal questions. But the employment situation is ... well, employers have carte blanche to discriminate on arbitrary values unrelated to the job. I have even been asked my political party affiliation, which caused my jaw to drop; I pay attention to politics insofar that I require information to vote for the candidate I feel is best suited for office.

All of the weird "personality tests" are yet another thing. I'm not just talking about the Meyers-Briggs; I've had to fill out some real doozies. I expect that eventually, I'll be subjected to a Rorschach ink blot test. I'm amazed at the creative ways that potential employers use to screen out applicants.

eerelations

I've never heard of them asking for a specific age.
Neither have I, but I've sure heard them skirting the issue! For example, seven years ago when I was 45 (a young-and-hip-looking 45, according to the people who know me), a 25-year-old cowboy start-up company owner asked me at the beginning of an interview "Have you ever heard of computers?" (This was in 2002!!! I had my own effing website!!!) I said that after that comment I saw no reason to stay, he agreed (laughing!!!), so I left, and guess what? I didn't get the job.

I could've sued, I would've won, but I didn't want my name on the public record. I was unemployed for a long time after that (partly because of some headhunters who told me their clients were looking for someone younger - again I could've sued, I would've won yadda yadda) but I did eventually get an excellent job with an employer that doesn't care about age.

It was worth the wait.

belldandy112

Oh, eerelations, how humiliating that must have been! And what a jerk that guy was to you. Yes, I have been condescended to ... one woman, only slightly younger than me and who I was working for, explained how her Blackberry worked almost in babytalk. I told her that I had my own Blackberry, and gee, wasn't it a pain to use them if you misplace your stylus? :)

Being in a place where people don't discriminate against others is very important. No one wants to work in an office where they are made to feel apart from the rest of the workgroup because they happen to be "older." I am in my late 30's and am already experiencing this. Sigh. Maybe I should just lie about my age ...!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">