• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slander

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jessica Jarvis

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

i was terminated from my job. when terminated i signed a form stating the reason for the dismissal. on this dismissal there was never mention of "suspected theft" now the i have been terminated from my new job and my last paycheck is being held due to the fact that my new boss was told from my old boss that they "thought" i my be stealing. i did not steal from either job and there is no proof to support their claims. what legal rights do i have?

Beth3

Huh? Why would your new employer be holding your final paycheck because your old boss told him they thought you *might* be stealing???? That just doesn't make any sense.

Nebraska law requires that final pay be provided the earlier of the next regular pay day or two weeks. Contact your new ex-boss and inform him what Nebraska law requires and that if you aren't paid immediately, you will have no other recourse but to file a complaint with the State's Department of Labor.

How do you know that your former employer said this to the new one?

J

Jessica Jarvis

i was told by the new ex-boss and at the same time i was being cursed at i was also told that i must have stolen from the new job too, therefore i wouldn't get paid for the last week i worked.

Beth3

Call your State's DOL immediately. There's absolutely no way your boss can withhold your final pay, especially for this reason.

As to what you former boss told your new one, you'll need to speak to an attorney about that. It's possible you have a suit to bring, although you'll need an expert opinion on your State's relevant case law and you will also need to consider the cost of bringing suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">