• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slander, Harassment, Disability Harassment: Sue or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yamahasaxplayer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

A university professor took it upon themselves to speak openly to faculty and other students regarding details of an investigation that was underway involving me and another student. This professor was not involved in the situation in any way. The university spells out their policy on confidentiality very clearly two times in their policy descriptions. No person, except the people involved, are to speak of any details of an investigation and then only to the bodies undertaking the investigation. Not only did this professor discuss details of the investigation but they also embellished details, included false information which was not written in the administrative complaint, fabricated a personal false history for me, and discussed confidential details regarding my wife’s medical condition. Since this has occurred, both my wife and I have experienced almost continual harassment from other students and prejudicial treatment from faculty within our small department and in the workplace including being cornered silently in the hallway of our building by a faculty member; a hostile, if juvenile act. A very hostile academic and work environment has developed for both of us. At this point, due to this professor’s actions, I do not even know if I will be able to secure an orals committee with any faculty who do not have some negative prejudice against me. Two tenured faculty members and one other student have confirmed this other professor has initiated discussion about this investigation. I have an attorney but what I would like to know is if there is any grounds to take on legal action against the university for allowing one of their professors to discuss and embellish points of the investigation, create a negative personal history, and discuss and incite students to harass my wife at work to the point where she had to retreat into a restroom. We are considering filing a motion on the grounds of slander (me), workplace harassment (my wife and me), and disability harassment (my wife).

I realize I posted this in one other category. I didn't realize this specific one existed. My apologies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going to ask you the same question I asked you on the other board where you posted this.

When you asked your attorney these questions, what did he say?

yamahasaxplayer

When I asked if this action by the professor was creating a hostile work environment he laughed out loud and said, "I'd say so!" I just was wondering if this could be something my wife and I could use in an attempt to win a case against the university or not. She is a 4.0 graduate student but it has gotten so bad she's afraid to return. I worry that there is so much prejudice against me because of their statements I won't be allowed to pass my orals.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I guess I was too subtle.

No one on a message board is in a position to give you better answers than your attorney, and it is not the policy of the volunteers here to second guess them. All we are able to do is provide general legal information. You need to be asking your attorney, not us.

Beth3

FYI - You keep using the word "hostile," "harassment," and the term "hostile work environment." In the legal sense, those words only apply when there is a pervasive atmosphere of prohibited discrimination due to gender, race, religion, national origin, etc.

I'll make no comment beyond that as cbg is exactly right - nobody is in a position to advise you more appropriately than your own attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">