• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone lied to get me fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rick Chapman

Arizona. I work for a copier company and go to sites to fix machines. In short, one of the employees went to their HR department and said I create a hostile work environment. Then problem with that is we don't communicate unless we have to. We had an issue (simple disagreement) 3 Years ago but since then I handle this person with kid gloves. Thy decided to tell their hr department they were quitting because of me. I was asked to not comeback due to this. While my company will oblige, this puts me in a nasty position where my company will certainly fire me. Ironically, this person is still quitting even though I am not allowed in their business. Its. Known fact this person has never liked me or any other technician who goes in there. He has a reputation with our techs and his own coworkers.
I'm sick to my stomach because this one person has the potential to ruin my career....for vindictive reasons I don't understand.
Do i have any recourse for slander/libel or anything else?
Thank you for any replies.

quincy

Arizona. I work for a copier company and go to sites to fix machines. In short, one of the employees went to their HR department and said I create a hostile work environment. Then problem with that is we don't communicate unless we have to. We had an issue (simple disagreement) 3 Years ago but since then I handle this person with kid gloves. Thy decided to tell their hr department they were quitting because of me. I was asked to not comeback due to this. While my company will oblige, this puts me in a nasty position where my company will certainly fire me. Ironically, this person is still quitting even though I am not allowed in their business. Its. Known fact this person has never liked me or any other technician who goes in there. He has a reputation with our techs and his own coworkers.
I'm sick to my stomach because this one person has the potential to ruin my career....for vindictive reasons I don't understand.
Do i have any recourse for slander/libel or anything else?
Thank you for any replies.
What has this person said about you? Is it true, substantially true or entirely false?

Slander is oral defamation. Libel is written defamation. Truth is a defense to both.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the person reported that they are quitting because they don't like you, or because they don't like the way you acted, then that's not necessarily defamation.

quincy

Other than filing for unemployment benefits if you are fired (and if you qualify), any action that is available for you to take stands to be against the employee who "lied" about you and not against the employer who might have believed whatever lie or lies were told. But it really depends on what exactly was said, and why it was said.

Rick Chapman

What I know is he went to his company and put in his resignation and said it was me thats the reason he is leaving. What exactly was said, i dont know. However, i was told that i have "created a hostile work environment." How is beyond me. Ironically, I cant go back into the account and yet he is still quitting.

Thank you all for your help.

quincy

What I know is he went to his company and put in his resignation and said it was me thats the reason he is leaving. What exactly was said, i dont know. However, i was told that i have "created a hostile work environment." How is beyond me. Ironically, I cant go back into the account and yet he is still quitting.

Thank you all for your help.
Without knowing exactly what was said by the employee, you do not know if what was said was defamatory. So ... I see no defamation action for you to consider.

It is possible that the company is looking to eliminate all of those employees who create drama in the workplace. You and the other guy created drama. You, as are most employees, are expendable - this even if you are doing everything right.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">