• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSN on W2 in trash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlownAwayInCA

What is the name of your state? CA
My employer repeatedly throws out copies of my W2 forms in the trash without shredding them. Doesn't she have some obligation to protect my SSN and other private information?

twsited_steel

I did a search and this came up, thought I bump it since there was no reply.

But I'm in a similar situation. Owner of the company, threw away a large amount of paper work into a dumpster. W2's, health insurance information, checking account direct deposit information, which has checking account #'s, transfer #'s. A lot of employee information has now been exposed, like names, address's, social security #'s, phone number's, checking account #'s. Nothing was shredded. It was so bad, employee's are going threw the dumpster searching for their paperwork.

Do employer's have a responsibility to protect employee's info? Were any laws broken here?

Thanks for any info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">