• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suckered into a fight at work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c362137

It means "Bring it on, fool - you're the one gonna get fired and/or charged with a criminal offense... ".

(But let's not forget that you threatened him first)

The bridges, they are lonely tonight.
He didn't just say "bring it on" he also said "let's go outside"

eerelations

So I can go around and yell at whoever I want and it's ok. Then when someone calls me on it, I can cry foul and blame them?

I know I'm probably wrong here, but that just doesn't make sense to me.
Yes, it's perfectly legal for you to go around and yell at whoever you want. And if someone responds by threatening you and assaulting you, why yes you certainly may cry foul and blame that person for threatening you and assaulting you.

Proserpina

My point is the additional statement doesn't mean "Bring it on- Your the one who's going to get fired". I think "lets go outside" means he wants to fight.
Honey, you didn't have a point to begin with and that hasn't changed.

Grown-ups don't threaten to punch people for such silly, banal, imagined transgressions.

Oh snap - sorry, I assumed you weren't a minor. My bad.

c362137

Yes, it's perfectly legal for you to go around and yell at whoever you want. And if someone responds by threatening you and assaulting you, why yes you certainly may cry foul and blame that person for threatening you and assaulting you.
No disrespect, but someone could go around and entice people to punch them all day and make a living out of it if what you say is true.

eerelations

My point is the additional statement doesn't mean "Bring it on- Your the one who's going to get fired". I think "lets go outside" means he wants to fight.
So what? How does that make it OK for you to threaten and assault him?

Bottom line is though, there are no laws which will require your employer to discipline this guy in the manner you want. In addition, there are no laws which would prohibit your employer from firing you for making an issue out of this and/or for refusing to apologize to him. Period.

eerelations

No disrespect, but someone could go around and entice people to punch them all day and make a living out of it if what you say is true.
OK, so you know more about the law than I do? Really? What's your legal background?

And if you're such a great legal expert, why are you posting here?

c362137

So what? How does that make it OK for you to threaten and assault him?

Bottom line is though, there are no laws which will require your employer to discipline this guy in the manner you want. In addition, there are no laws which would prohibit your employer from firing you for making an issue out of this and/or for refusing to apologize to him. Period.
OK fair enough. What do I do when he starts yelling at me again, because it will happen with this guy? Especially, if no one is around. Not that I would punch him, I just don't feel I should be talked to like that and if no one sees it what do I do?

c362137

OK, so you know more about the law than I do? Really? What's your legal background?

And if you're such a great legal expert, why are you posting here?
Not trying to be an expert, it just seems crazy to me that someone can go around yelling a people and not be held accountable.

Last edited:

commentator

Look, sucker, he's trying to get you fired. This "punch you in the face" b.s. was exactly what he was looking for. Your macho rep in the workplace is not nearly as important as your ability to stay above the real conflicts and act like a professional. Verbal insults, assaults, whatever, do NOT reach the same level as physical assaults. No matter what they threaten, say about yo mamma, call you, whatever, the verbal is NOT the same as the physical. If you do not want to lose your job, let this guy win, whatever, back up, pull away, say anything your boss wants you to say and move on.

I have seen people actually deliberately get in someone's face and call them all sorts of derogatory names. And yet when the poor victim of this verbal assault responds physically, they are the one who ends up fired. That's the way it is, the guy is smarter than you are if he can get you to go off the beam and take a physical shot at him. If it happens, he's got your job, can charge you with assault, all sorts of good things for him. So put away your pride here and back out of the situation. Smile. Blow him a kiss. Forget about it.

eerelations

OK fair enough. What do I do when he starts yelling at me again, because it will happen with this guy? Especially, if no one is around. Not that I would punch him, I just don't feel I should be talked to like that and if no one sees it what do I do?
Walk away. But read comentator's post first. If you react in any way whatsoever, you are letting him win.

c362137

Look, sucker, he's trying to get you fired. This "punch you in the face" b.s. was exactly what he was looking for. Your macho rep in the workplace is not nearly as important as your ability to stay above the real conflicts and act like a professional. Verbal insults, assaults, whatever, do NOT reach the same level as physical assaults. No matter what they threaten, say about yo mamma, call you, whatever, the verbal is NOT the same as the physical. If you do not want to lose your job, let this guy win, whatever, back up, pull away, say anything your boss wants you to say and move on.

I have seen people actually deliberately get in someone's face and call them all sorts of derogatory names. And yet when the poor victim of this verbal assault responds physically, they are the one who ends up fired. That's the way it is, the guy is smarter than you are if he can get you to go off the beam and take a physical shot at him. If it happens, he's got your job, can charge you with assault, all sorts of good things for him. So put away your pride here and back out of the situation. Smile. Blow him a kiss. Forget about it.
Thanks, take care.

Proserpina

Not trying to be an expert, it just seems crazy to me that someone can go around yelling a people and not be held accountable.
Thank the Almighty that parents are allowed to yell at their kids.

I'd hate to consider the alternative ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">