• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suckered into a fight at work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c362137

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

A guy came into my office yelling at me in front of my boss. I told him if he didn't stop I would punch him in the nose. He tells me to bring it on, lets go outside. I stand up and head to the door, but he blocks me and I push him. Finally the boss steps in and stops it. I think we're both at fault and both should be written up. My boss wants me to apologize, but I'm not sorry. Also, I feel if I do, it will give him the green light to do it again.

Silverplum

California

A guy came into my office yelling at me in front of my boss. I told him if he didn't stop I would punch him in the nose. He tells me to bring it on, lets go outside. I stand up and head to the door, but he blocks me and I push him. Finally the boss steps in and stops it. I think we're both at fault and both should be written up. My boss wants me to apologize, but I'm not sorry. Also, I feel if I do, it will give him the green light to do it again.
I would not want to work in your office. Nose-punching and pushing are not acceptable responses to feeling angry.

eerelations

All he did was yell at you. You threatened him and you assaulted him. Who's more at fault here?

Regarding the apology, your boss is legally free to fire you for refusing to apologize. And your chances of getting UI benefits after being fired for this reason are not very good.

CdwJava

California

Well, you committed the crime of battery when you pushed him. You were both acting like children, and your boss was right to intervene. But, whether or not I, or you, think the boss is right, you can either accept his offer at reconcilation, or suffer whatever consequences he might want to apply - which may mean your termination.

Fortunately for you, the other guy did not call the police and ask that you be arrested.

c362137

I would not want to work in your office. Nose-punching and pushing are not acceptable responses to feeling angry.
All he did was yell at you. You threatened him and you assaulted him. Who's more at fault here?

Regarding the apology, your boss is legally free to fire you for refusing to apologize. And your chances of getting UI benefits after being fired for this reason are not very good.
Note that he also said "bring it on". Does that mean nothing?

Proserpina

It means "Bring it on, fool - you're the one gonna get fired and/or charged with a criminal offense... ".

(But let's not forget that you threatened him first)

The bridges, they are lonely tonight.

CdwJava

If they had been outside and in public, that could be seen as challenging another person to fight. However, they were NOT in public, so the only apparent crime here is the push/shove which is a violation of PC 242 (battery) in CA.

c362137

Honey, back to the basement for you. Do you need a flashlight or can you find your own way? Wouldn't want you to trip down those stairs, y'know.
So I can go around and yell at whoever I want and it's ok. Then when someone calls me on it, I can cry foul and blame them?

I know I'm probably wrong here, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">