• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Supervisor prayer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostbiteblue

What is the name of your state? Virginia

A friend and coworker died away from work. Our supervisor gathered the entire department for a meeting without communicating its purpose. After expressing condolensces he had an employee give a verbal group prayer. I understand the motive and emotion, but I would like to know if this is illegal and the appropriate way to express my concern without challenging my supervisor or seeking any legal action. Can employers conduct prayer at required staff meetings? Does this create a hostile work environment for those like me who will not participate in interfaith?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

frostbiteblue said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

A friend and coworker died away from work. Our supervisor gathered the entire department for a meeting without communicating its purpose. After expressing condolensces he had an employee give a verbal group prayer. I understand the motive and emotion, but I would like to know if this is illegal and the appropriate way to express my concern without challenging my supervisor or seeking any legal action. Can employers conduct prayer at required staff meetings?
Was there someone who is a victim here?

Were YOU required to do anything or just stand/sit?

frostbiteblue

I believe listening is participating and thus interfaith. I moved away from where I could here and to do so I had to get people listening to move. I believe my employer has the right to express their opinion and faith but not lead in religious observance or prayer without my ability to choose if I participate.

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Then tell your supervisor that you do not wish to participate in any such event in the future. Simple huh?
Sounds like a workable solution!

Glad we could help.

frostbiteblue

Thank you.

However, I would like to know if it was illegal, and if my expectations are wrong that everyone be able to choose what religious observance they participate in at work.

I would appreciate your opinion.

S

seniorjudge

If you are asking me if I think it is illegal for a person to pray on his own property in front of those he is paying, my opinion is that this is not illegal.

However, I voted for John Kerry...so what do I know?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
A single instance is not likely to be considered to be illegal.

If your supervisor made a practice of forcing people to participate on a regular basis, that would be a different story.

frostbiteblue

I didn't say he couldn't pray, even out loud for all who want to participate. However, I choose to pray to my God not his. I believe it's illegal to force anyone to do any religious service. And to use that one pays them as an excuse to infringe on their right to religious freedom is morally wrong. Is it now legally wrong or do I need to help make it so.

Happy Trails

frostbiteblue said:
I didn't say he couldn't pray, even out loud for all who want to participate. However, I choose to pray to my God not his. I believe it's illegal to force anyone to do any religious service. And to use that one pays them as an excuse to infringe on their right to religious freedom is morally wrong. Is it now legally wrong or do I need to help make it so.
Where are you going with this?

In your initial post you write, "I understand the motive and emotion, but I would like to know if this is illegal and the appropriate way to express my concern without challenging my supervisor or seeking any legal action."

It appears to me you just did a 180 degree turn.

frostbiteblue

I don't think my employers action was malicious. However, I don't think just not including me is in either of our best interests. I think he violated everyone's rights who were in attendance whether they found it objectionable or not. I know of others who share my same convictions who happened not to be in attendance. I would like to speak to my supervisor with more than my personal preference not to be included so that he realizes that he was mistaken for his benefit in becoming a better supervisor and for any he may affect in the future. I do not wish to go over his head to his manager or to human resources or to a lawyer. I do wish to find factual evidence that his action was inappropriate. How it may be illegal would be a good way to privately discuss my concern.
If it is not illegal, I'm concerned.

Happy Trails

Do you feel that your supervisor should have just asked everyone for a moment of silence for your deceased friend and co-worker?

Or would this make you feel uncomfortable as well?

frostbiteblue

A moment of silence would not offend my personal conscience.

I would not have a problem with letting us know the intention of the meeting and letting it be optional, or having the prayer afterward as an option.

My problem is with announcing at a required meeting that someone will lead the group in a prayer.

Happy Trails

frostbiteblue said:
A moment of silence would not offend my personal conscience.

I would not have a problem with letting us know the intention of the meeting and letting it be optional, or having the prayer afterward as an option.

My problem is with announcing at a required meeting that someone will lead the group in a prayer.
Now there you go, you had no problem appropriately expressing your concerns hear.

stephenk

did you attend the funeral of your friend? Did you tell the widow/er of how upset you were that the supervisor said a prayer at work for their spouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">