• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tattletale at Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeffrm01

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I work at a small company (@ 50 employees) with no designated HR department. We have one person who is our HR director, but she is not trained in this capacity. Recently, another employee complained about me to the HR person, telling her that I "talk about people too much." The HR person spoke to me, but she would not tell me what the person said, or who it was. She said she has to protect their identity. I have since found out that she doesn't even know what the person claims I acutally said!

<p> I feel that I should, at the very least, be told what I said, if not who reported me. I feel that the HR person does not know what she is doing. Where can I find these rules in a book?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can't. There are no such rules. She is not under any obligation to tell you who it was, or exactly what was said. It sounds to me as if she knows exactly what she is doing. Keeping things confidential is one of the things HR people have to do.

Agree w/cbg.

I don't think an 'investigation' is merited. What difference does it make? For HR to go on and on abotu who said what would be a waste of time and inappropriate. It always gets into a "He said/she said/no, you misunderstood" thing. How high school!!

Be more careful about what you say and who you say it around or to. Focus on doing the work and only talk about things/issues not other people at the job.

Many people have met their downfall because of "venting" , instigating, or gossiping - only around and to "people they trust" at work.

Could be whatever you are talking about is upsetting and disruptive. Could also be that someone has too much time on their hands. Watch your back and keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">