• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes due on EEOC settlement?????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

copnlpn2

Will taxes be due on the $50,000 cash settlement my husband will receive shortly following successful EEOC mediation with his former employer? The EEOC obtained this latest settlement for us in Oklahoma after this same employer violated the terms of an earlier settlement. Will taxes be due on the additional $7,000 my husband will receive for back wages as part of this new settlement?

B

buddy2bear

You really should ask a CPA. I think though that if the settlement amount, or portion thereof, is for back wages, then the applicable taxes would need to be paid. Sometimes when an award is given, the employer will automatically deduct the taxes to be on the safe side. Sometimes the employer is sufficiently ticked off, that it lets you worry about it, particularly since the employer would have to pay their share of the taxes, unemployment, etc., which would increase their payout above the award. If you don't want to call a CPA, you can call the IRS information line, although I have heard that they give out wrong information at least 50% of the time!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">