• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Teacher contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ldyofmrkwd

I live in Wisconsin. I am currently a teacher under a 1 year contract. My contract does not include any provisions for what happens should I resign early.
I recently submitted a 5 weeks notice of my resignation with the intention of relocating to be closer to family. My employer is now, with only 2 weeks from my anticipated last day, threatening to pursue an injunction to keep me from leaving before the end of the school year (about 3 months out). I understand that it is a difficult situation for them and that they have not yet found a replacement, but I am already set up for training at a new job and will lose my home at about the same time (I rent and my lease will be up about a week after my anticipated last day.)
In addition, my boss sent a very slanderous email to the head of my agency and to my anticipated new employer. Is there anything I can do to make them back off? Would a judge really grant them an injunction in this situation?

ESteele

It is highly unlikely a judge would issue an injunction to have you remain. Injunctions to enforce employment contracts are exceedingly rare. It is virtually inconceivable that the system can meet the very high threshold (e.g.., irreparable harm) to obtain injunctive relief in this instance.

However, depending on the terms of your employment contract, the school system may seek damages against you. You may want to consult directly with employment counsel to assess whether any grounds exist for a possible damages recovery.

With respect to the “slanderous” e-mail, does this communication contain anything false about you or your tenure at the school? If it does not, it probably is not slanderous. Without more, the fact the school representatives have expressed their displeasure with your purportedly breaching the employment agreement does not constitute slander.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">