• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temp Agency Discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

crysbeck1

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I recently registered with one of the largest temp agencies in St. Louis, MO and passed the testing and interview with flying colors. The following days I received several assignments, however, I was informed that I could not accept these assignments until they received 2 verbal PERSONAL references from previous supervisors/managers. I had given them all the info to contact my past supervisors/managers during my interview. I received a follow up phone call and was told that they did get 1 reference, but could not get another as several of my past employers have adopted the policy to not give personal references and their employees cannot give their home phone # for the purpose of a personal reference as it is a liability issue for the company. (When my other employers were contacted the temp agency was informed that my past supervisors/managers were no longer employed there.) I then informed them that I had a written letter of reference from a past employer, but was told that was not acceptable as it had to be verbal per their company policy. I was not informed of this policy during my interview, nor was it written in my welcome package. I'm a good employee and have always left my employers on excellent terms. Is this temp agency practicing discrimination by denying me employment because they could not obtain a second verbal reference and denying my written one?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not even remotely close to illegal discrimination. People who cannot provide a verbal reference are not a protected group in any state.

Quite frankly, I don't accept written references either. They're not worth the paper they're printed on. While I'm by no means accusing you, someone who was inclined to could put together a lovely set of fake references with a scanner and a laser printer.

The fact that they did not advise you of this policy ahead of time is totally irrelevant.

C

crysbeck1

Well, pardon the hell out of me. I think a simple "no" would have sufficed. Some of us from poor working families can't afford to go to law school, but we were taught not to be condescending when answering someone's question.

gryndor

crysbeck1 said:
Well, pardon the hell out of me. I think a simple "no" would have sufficed. Some of us from poor working families can't afford to go to law school, but we were taught not to be condescending when answering someone's question.
That was in no way condescending... :confused:

Would you have accepted a simple "no" ? I wouldn't... I'd ask, "why?"

So you got your why, and comparatively nicely too.

Be careful what you ask for...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">