• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there such a thing as political discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EddS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

To avoid cluttering up the forum with a whole new thread I looked through some existing posts thinking my issue must be pretty common. Well now I've learned a thing or two much to my surprise. I thought I had kind of a slam dunk but apparently what I thought was the law is completely wrong. Just to confirm what I'm getting from my research I guess I'm gonna clutter up the forum with a whole new thred. :D Sorry.

Its pretty simple. Discrimination in a workplace is only illegal if you're being discriminated against because of sex or race or one of the things listed in a law called Title 6. Is that right? To be a little more specific to my question it's not illegal if the discrimination is because of your political beliefs. Right?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

To avoid cluttering up the forum with a whole new thread I looked through some existing posts thinking my issue must be pretty common. Well now I've learned a thing or two much to my surprise. I thought I had kind of a slam dunk but apparently what I thought was the law is completely wrong. Just to confirm what I'm getting from my research I guess I'm gonna clutter up the forum with a whole new thred. :D Sorry.

Its pretty simple. Discrimination in a workplace is only illegal if you're being discriminated against because of sex or race or one of the things listed in a law called Title 6. Is that right? To be a little more specific to my question it's not illegal if the discrimination is because of your political beliefs. Right?
There have been some Libertarian radio talk show hosts that encourage business owners that need to terminate employees because of the current economic environment/the current administration's taxation policies to fire those who drive vehicles with a certain politician's campaign stickers. Not at all illegal. Elections have consequences. :cool:

Last edited:

Silverplum

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html

Title 7, not 6. :cool:

http://www.nclabor.com/pubs.htm

You Are Guilty

It actually does exist in a small handful of places (primarily NY, CA and DC, although there are others), North Carolina is not one of them. Sorry.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And in DC there are multiple exceptions when there is a BFOQ. For example; my husband owns a political consulting company which is headquartered in DC. He works exclusively for Democratic candidates or issue groups. This is legal, since otherwise there could be a conflict of interest between his clients. He is not required to hire Republicans. This is legal too, for the same reason.

However, the Starbucks where he buys his coffee in the mornings needs to be non-partisan. Or at least bi-partisan.

EddS

Thanks for the additional info. I went from thinking it must be illegal everywhere to thinking it was legal everywhere to knowing it's illegal in some places. Just not my place. Ah well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">