• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ticket fine and a company fine for same instance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

freckles55

What is the name of your state? iowa
i am a truck driver. we have roadside inspections done on our trucks by state department of transportation officers. the company gives us a bonus if we pass the inspection with no infractions. now if we fail an inspection and get a ticket along with a fine from the state the company wants to impose an additional "fine" of $50 that will be put into a fund to buy promotional items for driver apprectiation week. can they fine us in addition to the state fine?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It depends upon how they intend to fine you. If they intend to take a deduction out of your paycheck, that is almost certainly not legal. If they want you to write them a check, that may or may not be legal and you can check with your state DOL to be certain what the law in your state says. If they want you to pick up the tab for the office pizza party, that is almost certainly legal.

F

freckles55

fines

they intend to deduct from the pay as a "fine". I weill quote from the memo I got "we will take the funds obtained from these"fines" and use them for promotional items etc. for the driver appreciation week." seems like hardly the way to show appreciation.(hope i did this right)

Beth3

freckles, contact your State's Department of Labor. It's more likely than not that what your employer is proposing to do is prohibited by your State's employment laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">