• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tired of toxic work relationship with homosexual client contact I report to.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauly R

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I work for a facilities management company at a major University. The client contact is gay, I am not. Since the beginning (over 6 years ago) he has created an awkward work environment where profanity and homosexual talk/texts/e-mails are the regular. He even told another employee I was gay once. I've played along for over 6 years because he is my boss basically and even participated in profane correspondence from time to time, but he has become increasingly difficult to work for recently, we butt heads often and I always feel like it's because recently I told him I did not do the gay thing and it was sickening. He has now started cc'ng my operations manager on any e-mails he sends where he is reprimanding me, causing me to get in trouble with my corporate office. He has called me liar to my boss over an incident where I was not lying at all 2 weeks ago as well. It's a mess and I feel I may lose my job soon. I have e-mails of him calling me a "lazy ****stain" or telling me the size of his penis, or talking about sticking something in my butt, it goes on......What the hell should I do?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I work for a facilities management company at a major University. The client contact is gay, I am not. Since the beginning (over 6 years ago) he has created an awkward work environment where profanity and homosexual talk/texts/e-mails are the regular. He even told another employee I was gay once. I've played along for over 6 years because he is my boss basically and even participated in profane correspondence from time to time, but he has become increasingly difficult to work for recently, we butt heads often and I always feel like it's because recently I told him I did not do the gay thing and it was sickening. He has now started cc'ng my operations manager on any e-mails he sends where he is reprimanding me, causing me to get in trouble with my corporate office. He has called me liar to my boss over an incident where I was not lying at all 2 weeks ago as well. It's a mess and I feel I may lose my job soon. I have e-mails of him calling me a "lazy ****stain" or telling me the size of his penis, or talking about sticking something in my butt, it goes on......What the hell should I do?
Find a new job.

commentator

It is quite obvious that this work relationship is rather on the skids here. But I do not see any place here where you have been harassed or mistreated or discriminated against illegally. You have an important client with whom you have frequent contact who is now very unhappy with you. This comes after a long time of you enduring (as you put it) a lot of talk and sexual innuendo, and not making it very clear that it was unwelcome, as you might have done with the very first of this, and nipped it in the bud. Instead, you played along, even emailed back to him in the same vein. He probably thought you were flirting with him, or that his comments and approaches were not unwelcome.

Shed no tears about his telling someone sometime ago that you were gay, either. Gossip speculating about someone's sexuality isn't sacred. and it's not against the law. If you are trying to shock or gain sympathy in your complaints about his emails to you that contain disgusting comments (regardless of sexual orientation,) we just have to remember that this probably happened some time ago, and though you may have saved the emails, you didn't do anything about this or complain to anyone while you were receiving them. I suspect your contact may also have saved the emails you sent him, which you may not be proud of.

So you have a stand off situation. You wish to change the tone of the relationship. So do so, from now on, from your point of view. You don't have to tell him anything, just be polite, professional, and put some distance between the two of you in tone and behavior. If he greets you on the phone with "Hello, you #&$%5#@ you!" you respond with "Hi Jim, it's John here." and move on to business. Be brief. Do not provide him with any extra conversation in which he can get nasty. You should have been doing this all along if you were not enjoying his chats. Yes, it's a good thing to have rapport with your clients, but this was above and beyond the call of duty. Do not argue with him, confront him, or accuse him of trying to get you into trouble. In other words, professionalism, no drama.

If he tries to get you in trouble, tells lies about your performance, let it ride. Do the job to the best of your abilities. If your supervisors ask you about an issue, or give you trouble about your relationship with him, say that you are trying to work with Jim in a more professional way. I advise you to stay away from telling anyone, including your higher ups, about the nasty emails, the buddy buddy relationship or that he's lying about you or telling people you're gay. With this much time since it began, this could be misconstrued as a situation in which you at first welcomed his behavior, until you two had a quarrel of some sort. That's not the impression you want to give, is it?

If you were to quit the job at this point, it does not appear you would not have any legal recourse under EEOC, which is the only venue you'd have to complain, and you wouldn't be very likely to qualify for unemployment insurance. If they fire you, you can file for unemployment benefits while looking for another job. But be sure you do not give them any valid misconduct reason to fire you. Do the job to the best of your abilities always. Stress to everyone that you are doing this. If they fire you they cannot do so without showing they had a valid misconduct reason. Poor performance after over six years would be very hard to defend, if your performance has been up to par before this time. The burden of proof would be on the employer to show this good misconduct reason to fire you or at least you'd probably be able to draw unemployment benefits after you were terminated.

When you quit a job and apply for unemployment, you have to show you had a valid misconduct reason to leave the job and that you had exhausted every legitimate reasonable means to solve the problem before quitting. It doesn't sound much like you've done this. And since the behavior you are complaining about in this client has occurred over a long time period, in which you did not do anything to try to resolve the problem, they'll not be very likely to approve your benefits, unless something really outrageous happens now which forces you to quit suddenly ( like he comes into your place of business and makes an overt harassing move on you). Then you might have some sort of EEOC complaint. It would be helpful if you'd made your employer aware of his previous behavior and they had not tried to help you resolve the conflict.

In unemployment training, this situation is almost the old "my boss slapped my face last April" problem. Yes, a boss slapping his employee isn't appropriate. It would be reasonable grounds to quit the job. But that you continued to work there for a long time afterward, and then quit at a later date, complaining about this particular incident, does not indicate that you considered it unacceptable behavior.

What I'd strongly suggest you do is first of course, work hard to professionalize your relationship with your client. You may find it necessary to discuss the situation, and your relationship with him with your supervisor. Leave out all the gory details and emails, okay? Because you are making yourself look really bad with those. Try to resolve the problem.

In the meantime, I'd also be putting out some feelers toward moving on. This situation may not be solved easily, it may escalate. You need to give yourself plenty of preparation time by finding another position in which you won't have to worry about this. But I'd keep the job I have until I found something else, because at this point, unemployment insurance while you are looking for other jobs isn't much of a prospect, and there's nothing else you could do, nobody to sue, nowhere to complain.

Last edited:

ecmst12

It wasn't enough to just tell him that you were uncomfortable with the sexual/profane conversations eh? You had to go and tell your client/boss that you found him SICKENING and now you're wondering why he seems to have a problem with you now?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Hold everything, folks.

While it is still (unfortunately) true that sexual orientation is not protected under Federal law or under the laws of the OP's state, there is case law at the Federal level which makes same-sex sexual harassment illegal. I used to know the case law off the top of my head but it's been while and I'll have to go looking for it.

telling me the size of his penis, or talking about sticking something in my butt,

Any of you planning to tell me you wouldn't be calling this SH if the poster were female?

OP, if you have not already done so, IMMEDIATELY go to HR and report this as harassment. It's more difficult because it's a client and not a co-worker or boss, but it's not as dire an outlook for you as my colleagues are trying to tell you, either.

commentator

Okay, the stuff the OP is talking about that happened who knows when sounds really awful. Yes, the client contact has said some really really objectionable things. He may have talked nasty, but the OP doesn't mention he was ever solicited or threatened. Verbal sexual harassment? Maybe. But how long did the OP allow this to drag on without complaint? Six years? That's a pretty long time not to have mentioned something to somebody about the objectionable way your client was communicating with you. And then we heard "I played along and even participated in profane correspondence." Uh oh for your case.

And I would say this even if the OP was female, I'd think the same thing. If you didn't go ballistic when he began saying things like this, the client will try to say he's not ever been aware that the OP found his behavior unacceptable. Until he suddenly told the guy he found his behavior disgusting.

It's pretty definite that the OP's employer hasn't heard anything about it, has not been given an opportunity to do something. Right now, I just don't see where a sexual harassment complaint would go.

I agree, the OP should have discussed this issue with his supervisor or HR or someone, reported it as harassment at the time it begun, or the time it actually happened. But I suspect those really bad remarks that are quoted and that get so much traction and have so much shock value happened a long time ago, not lately. He may go in and talk to someone right now, but I would bet a contractor with a large university isn't going to give a lot of weight to one of their employees who's not happy with the behavior of one of their major client contacts, hasn't been for six years, and is just now bringing it up.

I think this OP has gotten into a situation where he's going to be the one who fares badly, and should be looking for something else to get out of this situation soon.

Last edited:

ecmst12

I'm not claiming there wasn't harassment. Only that OP handled it completely inappropriately AND he insulted the guy, so he shouldn't be surprised that there is now a problem. If he'd gone to HR from the beginning, it might have been taken care of a long time ago.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
How long the employee tolerated the harassment is rarely a factor. It has long been accepted by the EEOC that an employee may tolerate illegal behavior for some time because they do not believe they have any choice.

commentator

It just seems to me the OP is much more concerned about what's going on now, that the client contact is cc'ing his boss when he has to complain about something and that he's telling lies against him.

That he saved the emails and is ready to use them now worries me. Because it sounds very much like he encouraged the man a bit, did not even bother to tell him he wasn't into all that gay talk until they were several years into the work relationship, and yes, he did do some emailing of his own. I'm just saying, how proud would he be if these emails were saved too? "I felt so threatened I felt I had to play along" can only go so far.

The OP's boss is a contractor who works with a university. The person who's connected with the university is the client contact. He's the one who is doing the sexual harassment, if that's what it is. A contractor isn't going to be nearly so concerned with the health and well being of their employees. The OP may get someone interested in sexual harassment suit against his employer or the university contact's employer but I don't know. He certainly needs to inform his employer immediately. I just don't know how that's going to play, think he should be looking elsewhere for another job anyhow. This environment is pretty toxic sounding all together.

Just Blue

Although I read all the Experts postings and respect what you have all stated...

I stilll go with "Find a new job".

JMO.

Blue

Pauly R

It wasn't enough to just tell him that you were uncomfortable with the sexual/profane conversations eh? You had to go and tell your client/boss that you found him SICKENING and now you're wondering why he seems to have a problem with you now?
No. I told him personally he was sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">