• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unauthorized use of Documents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AznNiceGuy

What is the name of your state?CA

I have a question in regards to copyright laws of former employees of a company. I worked for a company and gave documentation of misconduct regarding theft/ cover-up occuring at the store at the time. This was sent to HR and I outlined that it was my own documentation and stated in the front that this document that it should never come in possesion to my store manager and/ or district manager. However, HR turn around and fax the same documentation to my DM. I wind-up quitting that job. My former 2nd Asst. then had an Unemployment Appeal Hearing. The same D.M. tried presenting the documents that was sent to HR without my permission for the judge to look into. However, I was smart enough to send a copy version of what I sent HR originally. The DM said her legal department within the company had highlighted parts in her favor to throw out my creditablity. The judge didn't accept her copy since there was already a copy that was given to judge with my permission. How can I say the DM's version is inadmissable since it was never authorized. I also know that their version only favors them. What can I do to protect my rights as the creator of the original verison and have it from being unauthorize use for another case?? Help!!!

Beth3

Your employer had no obligation to honor your request not to forward your documentation to whomever they pleased. Once you supplied them with a copy, you gave up all rights to dictate what became of it and what it was used for.

I don't understand why you are asking for a basis to object to the D.M.'s submitting a copy of your documentation for the UC hearing when you said in the prior sentence the UC judge didn't accept the copy they tried to submit? (If their copy is accepted as evidence, you can object to it on the basis that it has been altered. Even if the judge does accept it, you at least want him or her to take that into account when rendering their decision.)

A

AznNiceGuy

Thanks Beth

I can rest a little more comfort to knowing that I can put doubt in the mind of the judge. I didn't know that I could do that. Hey Beth, I absolutely love my new job, but I sure wanna make my old employer pay still for it's unethical business practices. Any suggestions on how to finish them off?

Beth3

Retalliation almost always boomerangs on the retalliator, especially in an employment situation. I suggest you put it behind you and anticipate that in the end, your former employer will suffer the consequences of their unethical practices. What goes around, comes around.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">