• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncomfortable... what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

centerman

I live in NY and am employed by the world's largest retailer. I work as the Department Manager outside of the Pharmacy. Directly above me is the Pharmacist. In October of last year the Pharmacist acquired an unauthorized price scanner that belonged to another Department in the store. She then threatens to write me up or fire me if I lent it out or lost it. I was reminded by her of these consequences very regularly until February when upper Management discovered and recovered the stolen scanner.

During this time I've felt very uneasy and uncomfortable discussing anything with her other than job related necessities. I Spoke with in store Human Recourses and supplied a written statement on the issue, all the while continuing to work to the best of my abilities.

At a 3 way sit down meeting with the store Manager I asked for a transfer. When the Manager transferred to another store himself shortly after nothing ever became of that.

On February 18, I was told that there needed to be Payroll cuts. Because I wasn't communicating with her effectively and since she and another Pharmacy Associate (Her good long time friend) were doing my job for me anyway, I would be demoted from a Department Manager to a part time shelf stocker. She then asked me to be decent and please give her 2 weeks notice if I decided to quit now.

At this date I am still Department Manager of the area. My prior written reviews were good and I could not have my status changed just because she wanted to without going through proper procedures. Although she was able to cut my hours from 40 to 32 per week.

Today I was called into the office and was given a logged verbal warning with an Assistant Manager present. She even made a comment that if the work is too much for me I should step down. I can't speak freely with her there. I still have to work with her on a one on one basis.

I was hired with and work with 30 other Department Managers in this store. Being chosen to work in this area I am the only one being micro managed daily. I know that I am as capable as any of the others, and am even running a more efficient Department than some.

I'm drafting another more detailed statement to pass onto HR and the new Management. Is this the right thing to do? What else can I do? Thanks...

Last edited:

Beth3

"I would be demoted from a Department Manager to a part time shelf stocker. She then asked me to be decent and please give her 2 weeks notice if I decided to quit now." Wow. That takes a lot of nerve. She's going to have you demoted and take a major cut in pay but YOU should be decent and give her two weeks notice if you quit? (Which is still a good idea but wow - this pharmacist is a real piece of work.)

The pharmacist may have violated store policy by appropriating the scanner but nothing illegal has transpired. Rather than focus on what a miserable experience it was to work for her (and possibly thus be perceived as a "complainer" and not management material by senior management), why don't you focus your efforts on seeking a transfer to another store/available Department Manager position?

C

centerman

Thank you. I will become acquainted with the new Management and focus on transfering to another Department or store.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">