• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unequal pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teewatt27

What is the name of your state? maryland
I have been the general manager of a well known restaurant for 14 months, I have been with the company for 6 years. I trained someone who is new to the company and after 3 months he is the general manager of his own store and making $7000.00 more than I am. I am also a black female. Is there anything I can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In itself, what you have described is not illegal. While pay rates cannot be set BECAUSE OF gender and race, they can be set by other, non-discriminatory reasons. If this person has previous experience, more education, or is even just a better negotiator than you are, paying him more would not be illegal.

IF you are being paid less BECAUSE OF your race or gender, that would be illegal and you would be able to file a complaint with the EEOC or your state discrimination board.

BTW, how do you know what he's making? Did he tell you? If so, how do you know he's telling you the truth and not just jerking your chain?

T

teewatt27

I know his payrate because his check still comes to my store and as general manager I have to glance at checks to make sure everyone was paid correctly. There are 8 managers in the region of which I am the lowest paid. My performance is impecable. Out of 600 hundred stores in the zone my store is always in the top 20 in sales increase and performance evaluations. And all the top dogs in the area brag about my store. Everytime someone important in the company comes to town they always bring them to my store, so they apparently think I am doing a good job. The man I trained has had no college and he was an account manager at a retail store before he came to this company. I wasn't given an opportunity to negotiate a salary. It was this is the salary that all managers start with, which I have now learned is not true.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">